Backup of Entourage files - huge!

Hi,

I have a network of 6 OS X clients that I backup every day. Because I backup the user directory on each machine, I'm grabbing the entourage email database file which in some cases is larger than 2-3 gigs.

Is there any way to do a backup and overwrite just this file? Would be nice to achive it in one script for ease of maintenance.

Also, if I do manage to achieve that, then how can I strip out all the copies of the said entourage databases out of my huge backup sets?

Thank you

You can't restore an Exchange server to running condition from a Mac backup app (Retrospect or not). You need an Exchange savvy backup app such as Retrospect for Windows (including the Exchange add-on.)

That said, you can tell the Retrospect client on the Exchange server to exclude the database file.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

The answer is to get the users to rebuild their Entourage files (press and hold option/alt key) when loading Entourage, and that will compress the database files down somewhat. It would also be helpful if they bin all old or out of date emails, before compressing the database files, especially ones with large attachments, as these will be the ones that are creating such large files in the first place.

Then when they're happy that all emails are OK, when you open Entourage, they can then bin the files with 'Old' in the filename. This will reduce the backup size considerably. cool.gif

Although you couldn't do it within a single script, you could exclude the database file from your regular incremental backups with a custom selector, and run a separate backup to a different backup set that you recycle each night.

You can't get rid of the old Entourage database files in your current backup set until you recycle it, which, of course, deletes everything else too.

Archived