FireSCSI Xpress

Has anybody had ANY success with a SCSI tape drive hooked up to a FireSCSI Xpress adapter from MicroteCH plugged into your Firewire port? I've got a 450mhz G4 running 10.1.5 and RsD5.0.205 sees my tape drive as a "write-protected 210.0 MB CD!"

If I try to do a backup on "tape" I get a warning that there are no tape drives available.

If I try to do a backup on "CD" (because of the "CD icon" RS shows) only my QPS Que CD/RW shows up in the list.

If I try to do a backup on "Removable" media it won't do it this way either. I get the device window and it shows the CD icon and the lock icon(write-protected). If I select PROCEED, it warns me that the disk is write-protected.

Any insights out there? They would be appreciated. Thanks.

Retrospect does not support the use of any SCSI-FireWire converters. It's very likely that the converter is not properly passing the device's information to the operating system.

In any case, I'm afraid that this configuration is not supported with Retrospect. SCSI devices need to be connected to a supported SCSI card under OS X:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=osx_scsi_adapter

Sorry to hear that. I use an iMac as my backup server, which is a quite capable machine, but of course it has no slots for a SCSI card. Guess I'll just have to throw away my fairly expensive Travan 20GB tape drive. *sigh* Another $500 gets added to the cost of the 5.0 upgrade...

Archived