Backup strategy

hello to you all!

Working about two months with Retrospect Workgroup on a Mac OS X server I am mixed up now.

I tried several scripts, of which none of them satisfied me enough. Maybe anyone has a good idea!

the situation:

- 8 clients + an external RAID rack of 300Gb (30Gb used) to be backed up

- backing up to a AIT autoloader (4 tapes each 50 gigs)

What I would like is to back up everything monday to friday and then only the files that have changed or added. Just to ONE backupset. Then, the next week, use another tapeset and start all over again. And so on for two more weeks (since i have 4 cassettes containg 4 tapes).

The thing is, I am getting sick of the autoloader, how can i see what is left on the tape? Does Retrospect use the whole tape before switching to another tape? I mean, Retrospect has to backup approx. 35Gb of data but keeps asking for tapes, where ONE tape should fit it all!

Maybe somebody has any good strategy to offer?

The schedule you mentioned is an easy one to setup, and I can help with that.

But this is the main point I think:

>>>The thing is, I am getting sick of the autoloader, how can i see what is left on the tape? Does Retrospect use the whole tape before switching to another tape? I mean, Retrospect has to backup approx. 35Gb of data but keeps asking for tapes, where ONE tape should fit it all! >>>

Retrospect fills up the whole tape and then switches to a new tape. Go to Configure/backupsets then click on your backupset and click on properties. Then go to the members tab. This will tell you how much is used on each member of the set (each tape). This will give you an idea of how much capacity you are really using on a tape.

Archived