Automatically recycle tapes?

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm currently tasked with configuring a Retrospect backup on Mac OS X. As far as I'm aware the software is the newest version. The way my current tape rotation is configured, I do a full backup every weeknight to a tape named for that day. So on Monday I back up to the Monday tape and so on. I want two weeks of backups, so I have Monday #1 and Monday #2.

However, what I'm seeing happening is that instead of erasing the tape before writing to it, Retrospect just appends to the tape and requires lots of swapping. So the first time it writes to the tape its fine, but the next week rolls around and it wants to append to it, and requires the other tape.

Is there any way I can configure an automatic erase of the tape?

Thanks

Foster,

I go under the Automate button, then click Scripts, then select my script which is called Daily, and click Edit. In that window I only see Sources, Destinations, Selecting, Options, and Schedule. Under those, I don't see any options that allow me to select Normal, Recycle, and New Media.

Am I looking in the wrong spot? This is on Mac OS X Version 6.1.126.

Thanks!

Josh

Actually, I think I figured it out.

I followed the tutorial listed here on how to create a 5 day backup set, and it says to use a normal backup. But reading the manual, I saw my wrong turn (Recycle has to be configured while setting up the script) and have corrected it.

*crosses fingers*

hope my backup works smoothly tonight.

Thanks

Josh

Archived