Net Retry

sdoneil

I have a small network - 1 G3 Minitower acting as a server and 4 workstations (1 G3 iMac 333 Mhz, G3 PowerBook 400 Mhz and 2 G4 FP iMacs 700 Mhz). All was well until I started to think about upgrading. I have been collecting the needed software for the big move to MacOSX. The network worked without a problem under Mac OS 9.2.2. The server ran only FileMaker Pro Server and the workstations connected seamlessly to the server. I was using Retrospect Backup and Client software 4.3 using Apple Talk. Worked like a charm backing my critical files daily. In order to have Retrospect on MacOS X I needed to go to Retrospect 5, which also works on 9. Three of my clients back up without a problem, but the iMac 333 does not. I get a message after it starts to run the script "Net Retry" where it stays until I cancel the script. It does it to all the files I am trying to back up from the iMac 333. All other stations back up with a problem. It seems to start backing up then stalls. The only difference is that now Retrospect runs TCP/IP and not AppleTalk. The client software suggests TCP/IP is running and all the clients are visible on the server in Retrospect and are responding.

Am I missing something? Any help will be most welcome. I am not ready to retire the G3 iMac as it has worked very well for the last 3 years.

Have you actually upgraded any computers to OS X? If so, this adds some additional factors that could be causing this.

In any case, you'll need to do a bit of troubleshooting to pinpoint what is causing this error.

First, be sure that, in the Retrospect application, you do not have a speed threshold set for the clients. If you do, remove this.

One quick test is to try connecting the two computers with a crossover cable. This can tell you if you should concentrate troubleshooting the client machine, or the network connection between the computers. If you don't have a crossover cable, disconnect a client that is working currently and connect the iMac to the network in it's place. Do you still get the Net Retry? If so, make sure there are no firewalls or virus protection on the computer. Run disk utilities on the hard drive and see if there are any updates availabel from Apple for that model.

If the problem goes away when you connect with different hardware, start looking at network cables and hardware, and swap pieces out until you find the item that is causing the problem.

Archived