Strange phenomena

I am running Retrospect 6.1 on an iMac G5 (second series.) When I do a nomal backup, it completes OK. But when I duplicate the Macantosh HD to a partition on the same fire-wire hard drive I use for backup, I get one error. It is always the same file, in Library/cache. I have "selection" set to "All except caches" Does this work for "duplicate" as well as for "Backup?" (I use the "Duplicate" to have a bootable disk to run DiskWarrior against the normal boot drive.) When I run DiskWarrior" against the "Dupe" volume, it always corrects coding errors in the font folder, but the oly time it found any coding errors on the usual boot drive was after a restore from "yesterday's" backup to get rid of some junk I shouldn' have downloaded! Can anyone offer any enlightenment on why I am getting errors on duplicates and restored drives, but not in normal backups. I'm new to the MAC, and am still learning.

Thanks

Quote:

Does this work for "duplicate" as well as for "Backup?"

Yes, if you've got the same selector chosen for the duplicate as for the backup. Do you?

Also, what is the error? It might be something innocuous such as the file changing size while the backup is going on, etc.

Finally, "duplicate" will not necessarily give a bootable drive if you are duplicating a live system. If you "duplicate" while booted from another disk other than the one being duplicated, then you've got a chance, depending on what the selectors are and some other factors. "duplicate" does not equal "clone snapshot".

Russ

Thanks, Russ, the error is "date andf time" during compare. I can boot from the duped disk. I've decided not to worry abou it. But I do wonder what's oing on.

Quote:

Errors that report different Modify Date/Time can be ignored. They just mean the file changed during the backup process.

Not sure I agree that they can be ignored; they are simply warnings, and it takes judgment to know whether they can be ignored. Usually they can be ignored. Yes, it "just" means that the file changed during the backup process, but, depending on the type of the file, it might mean that you've got an inconsistent backup. For example, if it was a backup made of a live system with a Cyrus mail server running, you've got a corrupted mail store backup. If these errors are only on log files or caches, they can be ignored.

Just want to avoid a false sense of confidence now and panic when (not if) an emergency restore has to be done.

If you are bothered by the error messages, you can craft appropriate selector entries to avoid backing up files that are OK to change and which you don't need for an emergency backup (e.g., some of the log files).

It might be nice, as a future enhancement for Retrospect, to have selectors to suppress error notifications on certain types of files (logs, caches) that, for some reason, you still want to back up but just don't want to be notified of errors.

russ

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt that my iMAC G5 is haunted, but my problrm seems to have cured itself. Last night's "duplicate" completed with no errors (for the first time since I installed Retrospect). As usual, Diskarrior found. and fixed, "coding errors" in the Library "fonts" folder. When I run DuskWarrior from the "Dupe" disk against the Macintosh HD drive, the only times it has found coding errors is after a restore. I wish I understood what is going on.

• 1 month later...

I think I have found a solution to my "duplicate" problem. I ran Retrospect 6.1 by boting from the supplied CD, and got a "completed successfully" duplicate. However, DiskWarrioer found (and corrected) a number of coding errors in Librar font files, after rebooting from the duplicate, a built a "comletedf successully" "recycled" backup to start a new cycle.

I guess all's well that ends well, so this thread can be considered to be closed.

--Murray

I spoke (figuratively) too soon. I tried to boot again from the

retrospect CD, but it wouldn't boot. Just sat there displaying the rotating spokes, so I quiut after five miunutes with no further actiity. Any wordsw of widom from anyone?

Thanks,

Murray

Archived