Can't see files

clatus

Hi,

Running Retrospect 5 on MacOs 9.1. A Windows 2000 server recently died and was rebuilt on new hardware. After getting the Retropect Client back on the Windows box (5.6.112), I cannot see any of the files I need to backup. I can see files in other directories (such as the system directory). The permissions on these folders seem pretty standard.

Retrospect thinks everything is ok. It completes the backup successfully, saying no files needed to be backed up. Check that the client didn't have anything set in the "don't back this up section". Logged onto the server from a second retrospect (this time on OS X) and had the same results. I can't seem to work it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Try uninstalling the client and reinstalling, ensuring that you're logged into the Windows machine as the local administrator.

Also, check that the permissions on those files are set such that the administrator has access to them.

You can also check, from the Retrospect application side, that the client is seeing all drives: from Configure > Clients, make sure that all drives have been added in.

Are you able to browse the client from Configure > Volumes?

Thanks for the reply. Yes I can browse the volumes. When I browse the disk (rather than the sub-volume) I can see the files for all directories except two. These two are both share points, and naturally have all the data I need to backup. I have tried to temporarily disable the sharing, but the result was the same. The priveleges are setup the same as for other directories. The machine is in a remote office, so re-installing the client software is not an easy task.

Sean

Con you confirm: when you're browsing, does the computer show up under Local Desktop, or Backup Clients?

This is almost always the result of the client not being installed with the correct permissions, and in nearly every case I've seen this, resintalling the client has fixed it.

It might work to make the share points accessible to everyone, but that's probably not the way you want to approach it!

Archived