Script to shutdown programs before starting backup?

Quote:

Is there an Applescript that will shut down all programs that are open before a scheduled backup runs?

Two choices: If you REALLY want to "shut down ALL programs", then this one-word AppleScript will do exactly that and power down your computer:

Code:

shutdown

If, instead, you only want to shut down running applications that have been started by the logged-in user, then this one-word AppleScript will do that: Code:
logout

Code:

shutdown

It's really difficult to perform a backup after that script is (fully) executed. That, of course, violates the intent of the script. wink.gif

Years ago, I wrote an application for OS 9 that quit all apps and "ejected" all network volumes in preparation for a backup. It still runs in Classic.

I haven't found any practical use for it under OS X, as the Retro Client runs much better under the pre-emptive multitasking in OS X than the co-operative multitasking under OS 9.

Quote:

It's really difficult to perform a backup after that script is (fully) executed.

Um, I believe that the suggested script meets all of the stated requirements:

Quote:

Is there an Applescript that will shut down all programs that are open before a scheduled backup runs?

Admittedly, the answer was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it did solve the stated problem, and running a backup was not part of the stated requirements. For a better-defined problem, a better solution might exist. Point being, though, in a Unix system with all of its background processes, etc., it's a bit hard to "shut down all programs that are open" except by shutting the system down; othewise, you are trying to back up a live filesystem, which is very difficult if not impossible. See also the discussion in this thread about backing up a live filesystem: Is a Duplicate an Exact Duplicate?

Archived