Duplicating Tapes (automatically?)

I recently had a tape (DDS4) break... not good.

So...

I want to start duplicating the current tape in use (I have 6 for different backup groups).

I would like this to as automated as possible - preferably to occur after a scheduled backup has completed.

Out line of my Idea of what I would like to happen:

* Scheduled backup starts - this is already done

Scheduled backup completes -

* Retrospect copies (either changes or entire) backup tape to a second tape in a second drive attached to the backup server machine.

* The tapes are ejected - this is already done for the primary backup tape

* An email is sent telling me what was backedup - this is already done

* An Applescript is run copying the storage sets to another machine - this is already done

How do I go about doing the first item - copying the entire contents of one tape to another so that if the primary tape fails there is a backup of it?

Thanks

The best way is to run TWO backupsets. One and then another right after. But if you just want to copy the tapes you can use the Transfer option. This is found under Tools/Copy/Transfer. It will copy one set to another set BUT you must have TWO tape drives hooked up in order to use this feature. Another reason why just using 2 sets is better or switching every other day a set.

I *Do* have 2 tapes drives - both of which are now attached to the same machine.

However, 'transfer' does not appear to be schedulable (if that is a word)

I suppose I could schedule 2 storage sets with the same machines to backup one after the other....

• 2 weeks later...

Melissa: You wrote: 'Right. Transfer is not scheduleable in "Express". Desktop and above has this ability. '

Are you sure about this? Please tell me how. I'm using Retrospect Backup Server 5 (Mac OS X) but a cannot find a way to get Transfer scriptable/scheduleable.

TIA,

Henrik.

Archived