Retrospect 6.1 and Quicktime 7.0.4

I have been conducting weekly backups to CD-RW using Retrospect 6.1 on Mac OS X.3.9 since late November 2005. I've never had any problems.

I use encryption and compression. I only back up my home folder and a few other folders; the contents easily fit on 2 Cds.

I use Memorex 24x high-speed CD-RW on a firewire CD-RW drive.

When I started my last backup (2 days ago), I encountered a large number of errors. Older backups on CD were unreadable. I would successfully perform new backups to fresh media, and then verification would fail. Lots of problems.

Since the only change to my Mac since the previous no-problem backup was updating to QT 7.0.4, I "downgraded" to QT 7.0.3. Since then, I have encountered no problems with Retrospect.

I am posting this here in case it helps anyone else who is "suddenly" experiencing problems with Retrospect after upgrading QT.

Quote:

Since the only change to my Mac since the previous no-problem backup was updating to QT 7.0.4, I "downgraded" to QT 7.0.3.

While your observations are interesting, you didn't go far enough in your troubleshooting/testing to show that Quicktime was actually the cause.

The fact that it began to work again could have been thanks to the restart required for the QuickTime 7.0.3 install.

Dave

Quote:

Quote:

Since the only change to my Mac since the previous no-problem backup was updating to QT 7.0.4, I "downgraded" to QT 7.0.3.

While your observations are interesting, you didn't go far enough in your troubleshooting/testing to show that Quicktime was actually the cause.

The fact that it began to work again could have been thanks to the restart required for the QuickTime 7.0.3 install.

Dave

Ah, yes, I apologize for not being clearer. I restarted several times over the last few days, repaired permissions, Disk Warrior, etc.. Made sure I was running the latest Retrospect Driver update.

I should also add I don't have any 3rd party plugins or hacks, etc.. I have Norton AV 8.0.4 installed.

I do admit, though, I am baffled as to why the forums are not full of such reports. There must be a million Retrospect users now using QT 7.0.4. Perhaps QT 7.0.4 is "kicking" something in OS X that Retrospect uses for compression? This is just blind speculation on my part.

I honestly didn't think reverting to QT 7.0.3 was going to do any good, and I was a bit stunned that the problems went away.

Quote:

I honestly didn't think reverting to QT 7.0.3 was going to do any good, and I was a bit stunned that the problems went away.

The next test would be to reinstall 7.0.4 and see if the problem reemerges.

Retrospect does not use any QT components for anything.

David

(who is amazed that anyone's home directory could fit on 2 CD's, even with compression)

Archived