Can I find out what's in a specific backup set member?

I'm having to do a full-disk restore of my Powerbook (I sent it into AppleCare to have the latch on the display replaced and they wiped my disk and replaced it with a generic Tiger installation. Thanks, Apple...). The good news is that I did a full backup before sending it in; the bad news is that one of my backup DVDs from several months ago is not reading -- I'm getting a series of error 206's (Trouble reading / trouble positioning) for, as near as I can tell, every file on the DVD. All the other DVDs have read successfully, so my current assumption is that I'll have to proceed without this one.

So, the question: Is there any way I can find out what files were on the bad DVD without being able to read it? This stuff should be in the backup set catalog somewhere; can I get to it?

Thanks,

Jim Miller

I don't know a direct way to list what's on a particular backup set member, but this is the workaround I use:

If you go to Configure> Backup Sets> Configure [name of backup set]> Members, you will be able to get the date and time that the first file was written to that DVD. Also get the date and time of the following DVD member.

Then initiate a Restore> Search for files and folders whose backup time is between the above dates/times. Click on Files Chosen to see what was on that disc.

Quote:

Is there any way I can find out what files were on the bad DVD without being able to read it? This stuff should be in the backup set catalog somewhere; can I get to it?

Take a copy of the catalogue file first just in case, then mark all the other members as missing - I'm not sure but I think you'll then be able to view the backup set contents and only see what's on the one disk.

When you're done, just mark all the other members as available again and you're back to normal.