I have an automatic back up scheduled every 12 hours with Retrospect Desktop back up version 5.0. I am on a G4 running 9.2.2 with 1 gig of RAM. After the first back up of the day completes and eject's the tape I receive an informational message that reads "From Retrospect Media needed before Thu, June 13, 2002 at 19:30: Appending to tape "name of tape" 1K available (0%) of 2.6 Gig total capacity." I understand that it needs the different media for the second back up but what the heck does "1K available (0%) of 2.6 Gig total capacity." mean? The tapes that are being used are 120 Meter DDS 2 tapes and stores 4 or 8 gig's compressed (I get this message with a new tape after a minimal back up and the mesage is always the same). I have installed the 2.7 update and still get the message. A client of mine receives the same message with a VXA tape drive. The tapes for that drive hold 33 or 66 gig's compressed. Thanks for any help in advance. Steve

The estimate of tape capacity is just that: an estimate. As you've seen, it can be quite wrong if the format and capacity of the tape is not what Retrospect is expecting. You can change this estimate by using Retrospect's Set Capacity button.

Q. What is the point of the "Set Capacity" button?

A. In a backup set Properties window (Windows) or the backup set configure window (Macintosh), there is an option to override Retrospect's default calculation of how much space is remaining free on a tape. Retrospect has a default value for all tape formats that it supports, but if you find that you consistently get more or less on your tapes, you can override the value used by Retrospect. There is no need to do this, because Retrospect will continue to use a tape until the tape is filled. In other words, the Capacity/Set Capacity button is only used to help Retrospect display a more accurate remaining space free figure, not to actually control how much data will be copied.

Q. Will the Set Capacity button affect how much data I can put on a tape?

A. No. Retrospect uses either its built-in default capacity value, or the one you enter manually via the Capacity/Set Capacity button for display purposes only. You never need to adjust this value, but you may if you consistently find that the capacity you get on your tapes is significantly higher or lower than Retrospect's default value. Regardless of the capacity value used, Retrospect continues to write to a tape until the tape drive tells Retrospect that the tape is full.

Q. How do I get to the Set Capacity button?

A. Go to the Configure tab in the Retrospect Directory and click Backup Sets. Highlight the backup set you want to view, and click the Properties toolbar button (Windows) or click Configure (Macintosh). Click the options tab, then click the Capacity/Set Capacity button.

Archived