-108 out of memory, large storageset

Hi

I have an Xserve dual 2.3G G5, os X 10.4.2 server, with 3 gigs of ram running retrospect 6.0.202, driver update 6.5.101. My current month's backupset is 1 terabyte in size, about 8 million files, and on 11 VXA2 X23 tapes. I'm running into Error -108's during both recatalogs, as well as trying to search the storageset. top shows Retrospect using exactly 1.5 gigs of ram, with 1.16gigs free.

I guess my questions would be why on earth would retrospect need 1.5 gigs of ram, and why would it run out of memory with 1.1 gigs free?

thanks in advance for any assistance.

-Shon

Humm, I was afraid 'create a new preference' was going to be one of the answers. There doesn't seem to be any way of automagically exporting and importing users. I have about 200 users on the system, and many of them use laptops and are around only once in a while. To me, to be told to delete the prefs is like telling a programmer to re-write his C code in Java and see if that fixes her problem.

At any rate, I'm planning on installing all the patches tonight, since this is daylight savings weekend, and I've learned to halt all backups and do a fresh set on Monday. Thanks for your help, Nate.

-Shon

Quote:

To me, to be told to delete the prefs is like telling a programmer to re-write his C code in Java and see if that fixes her problem.

Your Retrospect preference file is just like any other valuable data file; if it becomes corrupted, having historical backups makes life just that much easier.

Dave

(non-programmer)

Archived