problems rebuilding catalog

I am trying to ultimately restore after an OS reinstall. I am unable to rebuild the catalogs. The CDRW drive does not recognize any media inserted. It reads "Empty", status as "Loading", and device status as "busy". What do I do now?????

Maria

'Busy' is reported when the backup device is being communicated to by two different processes, or there is hardware trouble that impairs communication with the device. It is most often caused by third-party software conflicts. If other backup applications are present on your system, they should be uninstalled. Installed device drivers may also be interfering with Retrospect’s internally-loaded drivers. Check to see what software or drivers might be present on your system that could attempt to communicate with or control the backup device.

Amy,

Thanks for your response. I can't think of anything offhand that would be also trying to communicate with the CDRW drive... I dont' have any other backup software. Could it be something on Norton's Systemworks? I haven't loaded all the software back onto the hard drive yet after the OS reinstall that was present before.

What other drives should I check for that might be trying to control the CDRW?

Thanks!

Maria

Archived