cant add new client

I'm running Retrospect on an ethernet and am trying to add a new client. When I go to Configure Clients and click Add, I don't see the new client. When I click the Test button and enter the new client's IP address, Retrospect reports that it found the backup client, but it still doesn't show up in the list.

Flat network, hubs only. Any thoughts on what's broken and how to fix it? The client is running Windows ME.

Are the two clients on the same subnet? If not, you need to set up Subnet Broadcast on the server to find that client. (Note that only the Server edition has Subnet broadcast.) The Retrospect User's Guide has detailed instructions on setting this up.

Do other clients show up in the live network window?

Are there any firewalls? If so, be sure that incoming and outgoing TCP and UDP have been allowed through port 497.

>Are the two clients on the same subnet? If not, you need to set up Subnet Broadcast

> on the server to find that client. (Note that only the Server edition has Subnet

> broadcast.) The Retrospect User's Guide has detailed instructions on setting this up.

Only one subnet on the network.

>Do other clients show up in the live network window?

Yes, all the other clients show up fine and are being backed up.

> Are there any firewalls? If so, be sure that incoming and outgoing TCP

>and UDP have been allowed through port 497.

No firewall between the server and the clients (there is a firewall as a gateway to the Internet). As noted above, other clients are fine, its just this new Windows ME machine that can't seem to communicate via Piton to the server machine. IP works on the client (can browse, ping, etc).

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded the client to 5.6, and that seems to have cured the problem. I'm still running 5.15 on the server, but I just ordered an upgrade for the server to 5.6.

Archived