NAS device and 2 GB limit

I'm working for a company with an extremely limited budget (who isn't-eh). I'm currently specing-out a file server with disaster recovery options. Here's the situational snapshot--

- Mac Clients

- 340GB NAS Storage Device

- Backup NAS device to networked Mac w/ Retrospect Backup and 2-160GB Firewire Hard Disks.

The networked Mac, with the NAS volumes mounted, will perform full or incremental backups to the firewire devices.

Is this possible?

I've seen something along the lines of a 2GB limit in backing up volumes via networked Macs. Is that true in this situation?

I recently backed up a networked iBook to a firewire drive on a G4. The backup from the iBook was 8GB. Initially it did have a problem telling me the backup is too large. The Firewire drive was new and thus I reformatted it finding it was formatted with Mac Standard. I reformatted it as Mac HFS+. After this it did not have any problems. I think I read Dantz says Mac HFS+ is required for backups greater than 2GB.

Unfortunately, you'll be saving the file backup set over AppleShare, or some emulation thereof, so the 2 GB limit still applies. Tech Article 15460 from Apple's site shows the limits to file saved over AppleShare.

Click here to see the article. It may only be visible if you have an Apple Support account.

Archived