Error -43 on OS X client kills backup

When trying to backup an OS X client (version 5.0.528 on Mac OS X10.1.5, PowerBook G3 Series [Wallstreet] 300MHz, 512MB) with Retrospect Server (version 5.0.205 on OS X 10.1.4, PowerMac G3 450MHz 320MB), after initiating the backup, Retrospect scans the client for about 10 seconds (approx. 1100 folders and 6500 files), and then it gives the following error:

“Error!!! Scanning incomplete, error -43 (file/folder not found)”

The backup stops at this point and will not continue. Retrospect Server will no longer work with the client, instead it reports an error: 'Can't access Macintosh HD, error 505 (client is reserved)'.

Meanwhile, the client reports: its Status: 'In use by "root" for "Scanning..."' and the process named retropds.22 is consuming 1/2 the processor time (indefinitely).

Does anyone have any suggestions for making this function properly?

---------

More details...

I’ve also tried installing the server software onto a 2x800MHz 1.1GB PowerMac G4 (running 10.1.5) with the same results. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the client software three times. I’ve tried the backup with different users logged in to the client and with no user logged in. I’ve booted into single user mode and fsck’d the client machine twice.

The same result is achieved when I click the Preview button in the Immediate Backup window instead of actually starting the backup.

Although it never reaches this step, I’ve tried changing the Destination from Removeable Media to Hard Drive - again with no effect.

Ironically, this client did not have this problem with pre-release versions of Retrospect 5 Server for Mac OS X.

Do you get the -43 error every time you scan?

Try defining each folder at the root level as a subvolume and added each subvolume in as a source instead of the whole drive. This might help to pinpoint the file that Retrospect doesn't like.

The 505 error is a known issue, and Dantz is working to resolve this.

Thanks _very_ much for the advice. Just as you suggested, I used this technique to find the file that was having problems. After finding it I realized that it had also given me some trouble previously when I was exectuing recursive ownership/permission changes and I wasn't able to alter it - even as root (e.g. "sudo chown -R boswell foldername" would give errors like "chown: Operation not permitted"). It seems as though the filesystem is having an issue here that needs attention...

Glad to hear that Dantz is working on the 505 error. It made things slower and more frustrating when trying to diagnose the problem. Also, I'd suggest that Retrospect report information about files that give -43 errors (e.g. name, directory name, inode number, etc.), and that it continue with the current task instead of stopping. In this situation, the error should not have been fatal, and the entire backup would be very valuable even if various files weren't available.

Thank you again for the advice and help. It made my morning!

Glad to hear that you were able to pinpoint the problem! That's great news.

In many cases Retrospect will actually report more information on the file. In some cases, though, especially in the case of a corrupt file, it won't, and you may be left to do some deeper digging on your own. We are also trying to make this easier as well.

Best of luck!

Irena

Archived