low cost (personal use) cloud backup from Retrospect

x509

Looking to get advice from personal users who use Retrospect with a cloud backup service.

I know that Retrospect labels Desktop as a business application, but I'm Joe User with a home LAN of 4 total sysrtems, wanting to add a cloud storage backup to supplement my local disk drive storage for Backup Datasets. 

Looking at Backblaze as an example, the monthly cost wold be much more than Backblaze for personal use, backing up all my systems.

Storing backups off site is essential. Think fire, theft, flooding, hurricanes etc.

I don't know anything about cloud backup because I don't use them. My employer once was evaluating cloud storage. Before that evaluation was finished, the cloud storage company went bankrupt...

Instead I have three hard drives and rotate them: One at home, one at work and one at a self storage facility. As soon as I have made some important work, I backup and move that drive off site.

Just my 2 cents. :) 

@Lennart_T

I live in California, USA, where we are in earthquake country, and we get blackouts from time to time.

Before I retired, I used to store backup tapes and then a backup drive in my office, as an offsite location.  But being retired, I no longer have an offsite location, which is why I'm looking into cloud backup.

Wasabi is cheap, fast, easiest to setup and maintain, and seems to be quite reliable. I've been using it for several months. Retrospect support has a setup doc in the knowledgebase, so it's supported.

I did try BackBlaze for a couple of days and found it to be a PITA to configure and use.  I could never get Amazon S3 to be reliable and trying to shrink or reduce your monthly fees with S3 will never work. The cost only goes in one direction and that's up.

Even with using Wasabi or any other cloud service, you should TEST IT!!!  Copy a folder with a known number of files/sizes to a test directory, then back it up, delete it and restore it. With the size of drives these days, restoring an entire drive could easily take days.  Figure this out now.  I look at cloud backups as repositories only of critical files.

https://wasabi.com/

Good luck.

6 hours ago, mbennett said:

Wasabi is cheap, fast, easiest to setup and maintain, and seems to be quite reliable. I've been using it for several months. Retrospect support has a setup doc in the knowledgebase, so it's supported.

I did try BackBlaze for a couple of days and found it to be a PITA to configure and use.  I could never get Amazon S3 to be reliable and trying to shrink or reduce your monthly fees with S3 will never work. The cost only goes in one direction and that's up.

Even with using Wasabi or any other cloud service, you should TEST IT!!!  Copy a folder with a known number of files/sizes to a test directory, then back it up, delete it and restore it. With the size of drives these days, restoring an entire drive could easily take days.  Figure this out now.  I look at cloud backups as repositories only of critical files.

https://wasabi.com/

Good luck.

I was hoping that Wasabi would be lower in cost, per TB.  Obviously with this pricing, I can't just "echo" all my Retrospect datasets.  I will probably end up creating additional Retrospect jobs just for key data.  I have several TB of photo files, which is much more than my "normal" data files.  I think I will adopt a "hybrid" offline storage plan, where photo files, and a lot of other stuff is backed up to an external HDD and stored in my bank safety deposit box or to a friend's house.  Long "access" time but would probably save a fair amount each month.

One thing that concerns me is that Wasabi charges for deleted file storage. That seems like a bit of a backdoor way of increasing revenue.  Also