Retro 5, OS X won't auto execute

The server end will not execute when no one is logged into it. Everything I mentioned in my first post is in regards to the Server.

It is Retro 5 on OS X. It is doing an internet backup (ftp) and the ftp server is available. The server just won't fire up the automatic execution on its own. If I log in and start Retrospect, it begins the auto execution right off.

1. Have you tried reinstalling? If not, please do so.

2. What version of Retrospect? 5.0.201?

3. What version of OS X Server? 10.1.2? 10.1.5?

4. Does this happen every time a backup is scheduled?

5. Does the backup start when you log in, or do you have to start Retrospect to start it?

Thanks!

1. I just did the install. I'll try again.

2. Retrospect 5.0.201

3. Mac OS X.1.4

4. The failure happens every time I try to get it to auto-execute. I'm doing this in advance of final roll-out of the system.

5. Runs only when I open up Retrospect manually.

After trying the reinstall, try the following:

1. Update to Retrospect 5.0.205 at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=intro_mac_retrospect#update

2. Check that the option to autolaunch Retrospect is checked. This is under Special > Preferences > Notification.

3. If so, try scheduling a backup to a file backup set stored locally instead of the FTP set.

OK, I've installed the patch. The backup will now run without anyone logged in.

But...

...if I try to log in, the login window is extremely slow--about 30 seconds to respond to my scroll down click to get to my login name and about 50 seconds to respond to my password entry.

...and, when I log out, I'm prompted to "quit Retrospect Script?" which is certainly NOT what I want to happen.

I guess Retrospect only allows scripted runs without a logged in user for security purposes, not to allow use of the backup server by multiple users while a backup is running.

Unfortunately, the script that OS X runs when logging a user out includes stopping any active processes, so it will quit a backup.

If you want to run a script while logged out, schedule it to run a few minutes ahead, log out and let Retrospect auto-launch.

Archived