"No backup" notices when the backup actually happened

I'm backing up the 4 Macs in my household network every night starting at 3:30 AM. Retrospect Desktop 6 runs on my G4 desktop (10.3.4); the clients are a G3 desktop (10.3.4), an iBook (10.3.5), and an 8600 (9.1).

When I first setup this Retrospect 6 configuration, I recall setting each of the clients to "Notify if no Backup in 01 days," and everything worked as expected. An occasional "No backup" notification would appear on a client, reflecting an actual missed backup, e.g., the iBook was asleep at the backup time.

After a while, the iBook began reporting "No backup" in the morning when I'd wipe my finger across the trackpad to bring the screen to life. But it had been backed up several hours earlier that day.

Then the 8600 started presenting the same bogus "No backup" alerts.

Finally, about a week ago, the G3 caught the "No backup" flu.

When I set the threshold to 2 days, there are no bogus alerts. But I'd really like to be able to set the 1 day threshold and have it work correctly.

Any thoughts?

-- Ward

The PM 8600 (OS 9.1) is running Classic Client 5.1.141 and is currently not displaying the bogus "No backup" alert.

The two OS X Macs are running OS X Client 6.0.109 and are both erroneously reporting "No backup" every morning.

The G3 had been behaving normally until I changed the backup Sources from the G3 name to the G3 boot drive (ignoring a 2nd small hard drive that is empty and not used). The bogus alerts started the next morning.

-- Ward

Archived