Error code -808 Key/refnum search failed

Am getting the error above and the computer is not backing up. I found the Retrospect error code page but that merely lists the same info I see on the failed backup. I don't know what this means nor what to do to resolve this problem. The computer is using OS 10.11 and Retrospect v is 15.1 but I can't check because the hard drive on the computer has failed. What does -808 mean?

(Date) Connected to Computer Name
* Resolved container Akumar's imac to 1 volumes:
akumar iMac on Akumar's iMac
-  Date Time  Copying akumar iMac on Akumar's iMac
Date Time  Found 1186107 files, 2511 folders, 295.6 GB
!Trouble matching  akumar iMac on Akumar's iMac to  Lab Name june 2017 [001], error -808 (key/refnum search failed)

Does the above info help? Thank you for your time!

It's during the matching.

The first thing to try is to repair the hard drive on Akumar's iMac, but I don't really think it would help. At least it can't hurt. :) 

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/repair-a-disk-dskutl1040/mac

If that doesn't help, try to "Repair" the media set (in Retrospect).

If that doesn't help, try "Rebuild" the media set (in Retrospect).

• Like 1

CherylB,

Congratulations, a search of the Forums shows you are the first administrator reporting error code -808 for Retrospect Mac. B)  Nobody has reported this error code on Retrospect Windows for about 9 years, but the most appropriate thread—one for a Backup—seems to be this one.  The now-two-Retrospect-variant-expert Lennart_T then suggested "I don't know what caused it, but you should recreate the catalog file to rectify" in the second—and last—post in that thread. 

Ununnilium never reported whether that worked.  However 15 days later, in another thread concerned with running out of RAM during a Catalog File Rebuild, he/she reported "As a followup, I noticed that the backup set [Retrospect Windows term for a Media Set] was created."

• Thanks 1

We could not bring the hard drive back to life. Lennart_T suggested to "Repair" the media set in Retrospect which I ran yesterday. Today I am happy to report the repair was the correct fix and I have a backup for the entire lab. Thank you Lennart_T  Once we have the hard drive for the failed computer replaced it will be added to the backup schedule.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DavidHertzberg said:

The now-two-Retrospect-variant-expert Lennart_T

I have been using Retrospect Mac since version 3 and Retrospect Windows since version 6.5.

Nowadays, I only use Retro Mac at home for two computers (one client) and a NAS. I use Retro Windows at work with four computers (three clients). Both with Disk Media/Backup Sets.

Gone are the days with dozens of computers, servers and tape libraries. :) 

2 hours ago, Lennart_T said:

Nowadays, I only use Retro Mac at home for two computers (one client) and a NAS. I use Retro Windows at work with four computers (three clients). Both with Disk Media/Backup Sets.

Sorry, Lennart_T; I termed you a "now-two-Retrospect-variant-expert" only to describe what I thought was your work history.  I thought that you had had a long-time job that included administrating a Retrospect Windows installation, and that you were then laid off and found a job that included administrating a Retrospect Mac installation.  I didn't realize that you have Retrospect Mac at home.

Whatever the historical reason, you certainly are an expert in both variants of Retrospect.  I rely on you to deal with many of the difficult administrator problems posted on these Forums, since I have only used Retrospect Mac (versions 3 through 6, then versions 12 through 15) for my home installation.  Thanks. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidHertzberg said:

Sorry, Lennart_T; I termed you a "now-two-Retrospect-variant-expert" only to describe what I thought was your work history.  I thought that you had had a long-time job that included administrating a Retrospect Windows installation, and that you were then laid off and found a job that included administrating a Retrospect Mac installation.  I didn't realize that you have Retrospect Mac at home.

Whatever the historical reason, you certainly are an expert in both variants of Retrospect.  I rely on you to deal with many of the difficult administrator problems posted on these Forums, since I have only used Retrospect Mac (versions 3 through 6, then versions 12 through 15) for my home installation.  Thanks. :)

You almost got it right. :) 

I did have a long-time job that included administrating a Retrospect Windows installation (with Windows and Mac clients, about 60 in total). I did get laid off and got a new job that includes administrating a small workgroup's Windows backups.

I have had a Mac installation at home, starting with version 6 and CD-Rs. Now I'm at version 15.6 with hard drives.