How does Retrospect identify a physical disk?

jhg

I have an archive backupset on an HD, and the HD has filled up.  The HD contains only the Retrospect backupset and nothing else.

I'd rather not add a second disk so I copied the contents of the full disk to a new, larger disk and then set the volume name and volume serial number on the new disk to match the old one.

However, Retrospect does not recognize the hard disk as belonging to that backup set. 

What else do I need to change on the new drive so Retrospect will recognize it?

• Like 1

If you copied the disk backup set files (.rdb, .session, etc.) to the new disk using the same directory structure, you should be able to rebuild the catalog so it points to the files in their new location. Note that it is the catalog that uniquely identifies the volume location of the backup set, not the backup data files themselves.

Also, when I've found myself in this situation in the past it's because I haven't properly configured or run a Grooming job on the backup set.  You can sometimes go a very long time without filling up a volume if you groom the set.  You might try that next time before you try transferring the set to another disk.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...