Mac FileMakerPro and Windows Retro server 5.5

I have a mac machine with OS 8.5 running retro mac client 4.3. This machine is also running filemakerpro server 3.0. If I want to back up the database files, do I have to shut the filemakerpro server, backup the database files and restart the filemakerpro server. If so, is there a Apple script that will accomplish this on a daily basis. The retro backup server will be running on a Windows2000 server. Thanks

To back up FileMaker Pro Server databases with Retrospect, you must shut down FileMaker Pro Server or mirror it's database (using the built-in feature of FileMaker) and then back up the mirrored copy.

Retrospect for Macintosh includes an AppleScript (in the Retrospect Folder) that will quit FileMaker Pro Server for Macintosh and allow Retrospect to back up the databases and then re-open them when the script is done backing up.

FileMaker Pro Workstation edition will allow Retrospect to back up some open databases, but these copies may not be complete. FileMaker stores many current changes in RAM and only writes those changes to disk when necessary. Retrospect can only copy the data saved to the hard disk at the time of backup.

If you are using FileMaker Pro Workstation edition on your network, you must have all database clients closed prior to backup. The actual FileMaker Pro application does not need to be quit, but if anyone happens to be accessing the database, or leaves it open on their screen, Retrospect will not be able to complete the backup of those files.

Since I am not running Retro for Mac, how about if I use the FileMakerpro server's backup schedule. I set up a backup schedule and tested it. The schedule doesn't shut the filemaker server. But I see all the database files backedup. I couldn't find the Mirror feature in the FM server but I scheduled it to backup the files to folder an hour before the retro backup starts. So retro will do a backup of databaseBackup folder at 12am everynight.

Archived