Erasing a CD-R??

jws

I've just installed Retrospect Express v5.6.132 with driver v2.7.117 (since I can't get 2.9 to install). Working through the "Quick Tour" backup process, I get a window named with my backup set name. The "Status" tab shows my CD-RW drive and the first CD-R disk of my backup set. Right-clicking on this and selecting Properties shows the correct media type, CD-R.

I click the Proceed button and get a warning window asking if I really want to erase the disk. (Erase a CD-R??) The choices are OK or Cancel. Cancel just stops, so I try OK. This (predictably) returns an error - "Couldn't erase disk, error -112 (can't erase/format media)".

Why is Retrospect trying to erase a CD-R? How do I get it to stop?

Retrospect requires that backup CDs are not formatted prior to use with

Retrospect. Retrospect will perform any necessary formatting when the backup

operation begins. When using a CD for the first time with Retrospect, it is best to use new, never before used CD-RW's.

Retrospect may not be able to access a CD-RW disk that has been formatted with DirectCD.

What I used was a fresh-off-the-spindle unformatted Memorex CD-R, NOT a CD-RW. That's exactly the problem. Why is Retrospect trying to erase a CD-R? How do I get it to recognize that the media is not erasable?

As I said in my first post:

"I click the Proceed button and get a warning window asking if I really want to erase the disk. (Erase a CD-R??) The choices are OK or Cancel. Cancel just stops, so I try OK. This (predictably) returns an error - "Couldn't erase disk, error -112 (can't erase/format media)"."

The "Proceed" button is on the window (named with my backup set name) that should, if the "Quick Tour" documentation is correct, begin the backup.

Archived