Autoloader not autoloading

I saw some similar posts recently, but not one specific to my problem.

Since upgrading to Mac OSX 10.3 server, Retrospect 6.0.193, and RDU 5.6.102, the software doesn't automatically pick the right tape on a Quantum ATL-M1500 library with DLT tape drive. I thought that maybe one cycle (3 weeks) of backups, it would know which tape to pick. It will either not get a tape automatically at all, or it will pick 1 (the wrong one), then stop prompting me for the correct tape. So, in the morning, I have to continue the backup manually. I do have bar codes on the tapes and ver 6 does read the barcodes.

Version 5 on OS9 loaded tapes fine.

I started to download RDU 5.7, but I read of some problems with autoloaders in this forum.

Chris

Hi

If you read some other posts from that poster you will find the problems you read about likely occured because of damaged preference files. Its doubtful the same will happen on your machine.

If you are concerned please keep a copy of your existing driver update on another disk. If a problem occurs you can always go back to it. Please let us know if the update to 5.7 helps or not.

Thanks

Nate

No. 5.7 does not help. The tape drive was empty when I told it to start a backup. It prompted me to select the tape, even though it was in the library list. It didn't even try to load it.

It's almost as if it is not seeing the library contents. We have a 3-week rotation with sets A, B, C. When I leave on Friday and we are on Set A, it usually already has A-3 (the last tape in that set) in the tape drive. Each week on Sunday morning, it does a recycle backup to the next set, say Set B. When I come in on Monday morning, it either has an empty tape drive, or it has picked the wrong tape and is on the device screen asking for B-1, even though it is in the library list. Then, if I go ahead and load B-1, when that tape is full, it will stop and ask me for B-2.

In ver 5, I had to leave the software running, but, once I scanned the library, it found each tape it needed. This is getting critical as I cannot go back to 5 on OS-9, and 5 doesn't work on 10.3.x. So I have to go forward with ver 6.

Dantz says that my configuration is fully supported, so I'm not sure what's going on... Any help is appreciated. I may try blowing away the prefs, but if I don't have to I'd rather not.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Before you trash the prefs make sure to try running the "initialize elements" command from the device menu. You should also hold down the option key and click on the unload button. This should clear the loader contents.

If you do decide to try new preferences you might want to keep your old ones around just in case.

Thanks

Nate

Archived