burning cds while using retrospect

Hello!

Our customer is using Retrospect on a Mac wit OS 10.3. He has the application running all the time even if he does not backup anything (I don't know why, but he wants to).

Now the problem: he wants to burn cds and dvds while retrospect is running. He cannot, because OS X says device is busy.

Retrospect seems to lock the burner, even if the proper backup is made on tape. Is there a possibility to exclude the cd drive from being occupied by Retrospect?

Any help appreciated.

Hi!

This may be the way, but our customer claims this "ignore id" button grayed out.

He also asserts, that he has no backup set using the cd drive.

Change customer, problem solved?

I'm sorry... I just realized, that I posted in the wrong forum.

Our customer uses Retrospect 5.1.175.

Hi

Posting here is fine, I don't quite understand what you are saying though:

"He also asserts, that he has no backup set using the cd drive."

Do you mean he can't backup to this drive at all? Please clarify.

"Change customer, problem solved? "

Do you mean you are giving up on this customer? Sorry but I don't understand what you mean.

Thanks

Nate

I'm sorry for my unclear expression. I'm just getting used to post in English...

The customer does not want to backup to the cd drive, he uses the tape for backing up.

BUT he wants to use cd burner with toast for copying cds while Retrospect is running.

Retrospect blocks the drive. The button "ignore id" in Retrospect´s configuration is grayed out.

I thought, if there were a backup set using the burner as backup medium, Retrospect would not permit the drive to be ignored. Thus I asked the customer to verify that there is no backup set using the cd drive.

And yes, I think, the problem could be the customer not following my/our instructions wink.gif

Thanks so far

Hi

Thanks for the additional information. Trust me, I know posting in other languages is hard!

The ignore ID button should be available. Maybe the device is not selected? Is the ignore ID button greyed out for the tape drive as well?

I don't think they will be able to burn CDs while the backup is running...

Nate

I have got a screenshot of the greyed out button when the tape drive is marked.

The customer tells me, that it does not make a difference which device is chosen. The button is always greyed out. The other button "Search again" is available, but pushing does not change anything.

Under which circumstances is this ignore button disabled?

Probably there is another cause (or the customer is the problem)

thx

Archived