Panic

I seem to have truly messed up my Retrospect 10 backups. 

I had a working Disk backup which ran out of space but I was unable to add another member so I started a new backup to the new disk. Now I want to restore items from the old disk, which I have kept solely to preserve the old backups but I have been unable to access it

Then I accidentally deleted the script for my new backup while I was trying to perform a restore. Can I simply recreate it and point it to the new media set I created or have I lost those backups - and the ones on the old disk which used the same script.

Any help much appreciated - I used to be quite good with Retrospect 6 but haven't really got the hang of doing anything out of the ordinary with 10.5. Thanks

• Like 1

Now I want to restore items from the old disk, which I have kept solely to preserve the old backups but I have been unable to access it.

It's not obvious what you mean here. Do you mean that the old disk media set is not visible in the list of media sets? Or do you mean the the set is listed but you can't retrieve data from it?

If the media set is simply not on the list, click the Locate button and navigate to the catalog for that media set. If the media set is listed, please tell us what steps you took in trying to access/restore data from it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fo your replies. In the end I decided that my Time Machine backups probably covered any important data that retrospect had backed up and, as I was unable to find any catalog which had more than a week's data in it I decided to start again.

I was able to reuse the old script but progress has been halted by a Groom script which continually asks for the media of the old set that it used to groom. I've tried pointing it to a new media set, tried to stop the activity, tried to delete the script - but nothing seems to work. The script is no longer listed as extant in my Scripts window but it is still running and still asking me to locate the relevant media (which I can't). I've stopped the Engine, restarted the mac, restarted the engine, thrown away the .plist file but it's still there asking for new media. Aaarggh

Thanks - but I wish it were that easy. No matter what I do Retrospect continually runs a groom script asking for media for 'GlenRowanDesktop'. Following earlier advice I stopped the engine, removed this catalog to the desktop, restarted the engine; but still the groom script is running. In desperation I completely removed retrospect - altho I could not find and 'config80 files anywhere - in either Library. I also re moved any catalog files that I could find and trashed everything - and also emptied the trash. Now when I do a search of my Mac I can find no files related to retrospect, no .rbc files, nothing.

I reinstalled Retrospect and opened it up expecting to find a blank canvas but it is still populated by scripts and media sets used by the deleted application. Where is it getting this information from?

I am in the happy state of not needing the previous backup sets and so can start again, which is what I thought I had done earlier this week. But previous data and scripts etc are still dominating and until I can stop this. how can I completely clear Retrospect from my Mac and start completely from scratch - and get rid of this damned grooming......

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ultimately the problem seemed to lie with the presence of two startup discs on my system, each with Retrospect data. A few weeks ago I bought a new SSD disk to use as a fast startup disk - and migrated from my internal drive, which had an existing Retrospect folder. I had been using the new folder and application successfully but for some reason Retrospect started to look in the old drive for catalog details etc. This was why stopping the engine and removing the SSD catalog had no effect as the application was reverting to a previous iteration of the backup. All earlier data now removed and Retrospect seems to be working normally.

BUT on a different set of backups and clients I have encountered new problems. One enormous backup has refused to run, reporting a -1101 error saying backup cannot be found. In the Media Sets view the set appears but has zero content. I didn't know how to point the application towards the catalog (which still existed) so I rebuilt the set/catalog. It is running again but now reports -592 errors when attempting to connect to some clients. I have been unable to find any explanation of this error. Can you help please?