Multiserver backup to a NAS HDD to be used in case the Server HD crashes

Hi: I have a Windows XP machine with Multiserver Retrospect. I have set up schedules to backup my C: to an external HDD. This external hdd is a regular HDD in a USB enclosure. In the event the HDD on the server crashes, I want to be able to use the HDD in the USB enclosure and boot up. Can this be done? If yes, how do I ensure that I can use my external HDD? 

Thanks

Ravi

• Like 1

I don't think it's possible to boot from USB in Windows XP. (This limitation is with Windows. It is not related to Retrospect at all.)

You could use a disk cloning application that is able to also clone the boot tracks. In case of disaster, you must remove the disk from the USB enclosure and mount it (physically) in the same slot as the original C: drive.

See if  http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-partition-assistant.html will clone your drive (with boot tracks). During the test, the finished copy must be mounted in the C: slot for Windows to be able to boot.