I have a 2012 Mac Pro Server (3.2GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 16GB RAM) running Mountain Lion Server 10.8.4 and Retrospect 10.1.0 (221). It's connected to a G-Tech G-Speed ES Pro 12TB (9TB RAID 5) connected via mini SAS to an ATTO ExpressSAS R680 and a Overland NEO 200s connected via fibre channel. I have been running Daily, Weekly and Monthly backups for the last 6+ months to LTO5 tape with no issues. Ran a couple simple and small test restores to a local second hard drive on the Mac Pro and that went fine. Now I've run into an issue that required me to re-format the external RAID and restore from tape backup. Should be easy using the previous weeks full weekly backup along with the daily incremental backups should put me very close to where I need to be. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me get Retrospect 10 to restore the data without going non-responsive most of the way through. I have had to force quit Retrospect multiple times and re-boot the server to restart it. I have 3.8TB to restore and the best I can get is about 3TB before it locks up. I have tried multiple times to "Restore only missing files" but the progress details show the entire 3.8 TB remaining. The entire restore should take roughly 8 hours but it never finishes.

Retrospect support has helped with a few things but unfortunately I still need help and their support is closed on the weekends, unfortunately I don't have that luxury.

Thanks in advance to any help I can get. 

• Like 1

"I have had to force quit Retrospect multiple times"

"The entire restore should take roughly 8 hours but it never finishes."

How many files are you restoring? Millions?

After restoring the files, Retrospect sets permissions to all files, which may take hours.

So I suggest you wait and NOT force quit.

Lennart,

The restore is for a total of just over 1.8 million files. Is there something I can do to be sure that it actually is setting the permissions vs. the application just hanging? The server becomes unresponsive during the time when the application is not responding. Is there maybe a way I can have Retrospect ignore setting permissions and finish the restore? Then I can just apply permissions in OS X.

Thanks,

Chad

I can't for the life of me get Retrospect 10 to restore the data without going non-responsive most of the way through. I have had to force quit Retrospect multiple times and re-boot the server to restart it

Since Retrospect 10.x consists of two interworking software components, the RetroEngine daemon and the management console application:

- What does "non-responsive" mean in this context? What did you see? What did you try?
- What exactly did you force quit?
- How exactly did you force quit "it" ?

Retrospect support has helped with a few things…

To avoid Forum respondents attempting to provide answers you have already received, what did Retrospect support tell you?

Why does Retrospect still try to restore all 3.8 TB instead of only what is missing, which is what I set in the restore script. 

- What are the exact steps you are taking? 
- How did you create your Restore script?