Retrospect 9 for Mac unable to mount optical media

jemicron

Not all drives likes all media. Try another brand.

Try a cleaning disc in the drive.

TIP: Retrospect uses packet writing (not sure about the name) while Finder uses Disc-At-Once when burning DVD discs.

DVD+R discs are much better suited for packet writing than DVD-R discs.

I've tried a variety of media (Memorex, Sony, TDK - both DVD-R and DVD+R) and three different drives (MBP, iMac, and an external LG) and the error still occurs. The choose media dialog sees both the external and internal drive but Retrospect doesn't find the media in either device.

Also, when I try to eject media from the choose media dialog window I get the message "An error occurred"

Thanks guys, esp Retrospect Guru. The problem was that optical support was disabled and after I followed the instructions in the knowledge base article 9720 everything was fine. I was able to configure the drives on both machines for DVD-R and CD-R and everything appears to be working as expected. Thanks again for the prompt assistance.

Interesting. I had R9 fully updated and then upgraded OS X from Lion to Mountain Lion 10.8.1 and it all worked fine. Later when I upgraded to 8.2, the engine wouldn't see optical drives. I looked at the .ini file and optical support was still enabled (=0). I disabled it, started the engine and then stopped it. I re-enabled optical support, started the engine again, and it's verifying a backup as I type.