Best way to copy files and not have them backed up again.

oslomike

I have a SAN strage system (shared storage over iSCSI) and sometimes I need to copy a bunch of Gigs from one disk to another so that I can do some maintenance on the drive partitions. Retrospect sees all disks and has them mounted and they all get backed up with a script that runs at night. Sometimes, and I don't know why or how, Retrospect will go and backup again all the files I just copied, even though they are already backed up. Retrospect is treating them as if they were modified or something. What is happening to these files that makes Retrospect back them up AGAIN?! Are there any guidelines regarding permissions for disks? Do the permissions have to be set on each individual computer that accesses the files? I have been struggling with this for some time, and I still don't have a straight answer. Anyone?

Thanks!

mike

• Like 1

It isn't clear what you are doing.

When you write "backup", do you really mean a "backup" in Retrospect's parlance and not a "duplicate"? (By context, I guess it's a "duplicate".)

When you write "Sometimes, and I don't know why or how, Retrospect will go and backup again all the files I just copied", do you mean it starts a backup/duplicate all by itself or have you set up schedule or start it manually?

Yes, Retrospect looks at a file's metadata to see if it has changed. So if one volume has "ignore ownership" turned on but not the other, there would be a difference and Retrospect will copy the files again.

Retrospect also looks at ACLs.

This might help: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963

HI Lennart,

I mean a straight finder copy from one disk to another. When I say backup, I mean a Retrospect script that scans a disk with newly copied files that it has already backed up (that were previously on a different disk-same files though).

Is it best to have ignore disk permissionsn checked "off" for all disks? OR checked "on"?

Thanks,

Mike

A Finder copy does not (fully) copy the file metadata. So Retrospect sees the metadata as changed and copies the files again.

I have ignore ownership "on" for my external disks that doesn't contain any OS. But my storage isn't shared between users. So I don't know the answer to your question.

It seems as "ignore ownership" would be a bad thing for shared storage. "Who owns this file?". You can't really tell, can you?

I did a little testing. I found out something interesting that maybe be of use to others.

When doing a finder copy from two different disks on the SAN (one mac with two disks of the SAN mounted), if the "ignore ownership" is ON for both of the disks being used for reading and writing, then Retrospect will see the copied files as modified and back them up again. If I turn OFF "ignore ownership" on those two drives and do the finder copy again, then Retrospect does not see them as modified and thus they do not get backed up again when asked to.

I also found out that for every client of the SAN, the disks permissions are different! My thinking is to go to every machine that has access to the SAN disks, and make sure that every SAN disk has the "ignore ownership" turned off. At least I want to try this for a while and see if I have any unnecessary files getting backed up.

Does this seem to make sense for how the ownership rules work with Retrospect?

Mike

There are two apps created for copying files from one volume to another:

Carbon Copy Cloner

SuperDuper!

Both work just fine. Both are free with limited features (such as copying an entire volume to another). All features unlocked for a small amount (such as scheduling and "smart" copy that copies only changed files).