Suddenly backing up all data

For some reason, Retrospect has forgotten what has been backed up and is backing up everything (or most everything) again. Log stated that on 7/31, backup completed with 1,411 files totally 4.9GB. Then on 8/1 it felt it needed to backup 700+GB of data when there was no data change on the server. Why is it not remembering what was backed up? Recycling has not been configured.

• Like 1

Retrospect 9 running on a 10.7 Server. Same Media, Normal backup, source is another 10.7 server, volume being backed u is a RAID created on said server. Backing up to external USB drives. I stopped the backup and started it again. Now it appears to be doing a complete (all 1.1TB) backup, like its recycling or something.

This would not be as much of an issue if the servers were not in two locations and backing up over the network (P-to-P VPN Tunnel). You can imagine how long it is going to take to back up 1.1TB. We initially backed up the server locally, then brought the drives to the other location and configured the backups, we are doingthe same to the other server so that the servers back up each other. It had been running fine until 8/1

I have the same situation here:

Running 10.7 Lion Server on a mac mini.

Backing up to firewire external drive.

Same script run each time (contains same backup set, media, source)

No major updates on OS at server - are minor updates enough to reset the whole operation?

I'm backing up two physical drives mounted in the same machine.

One is the OS drive, contains only operational data.

The other is a data drive, shared by clients across the network.

~700GB of data, across both drives to be backed up.

We'll go for a week or two with normal operation and then have Retrospect seemingly "forget" about a backup set it's being doing without complaint. It will behave quite calmly, and proceed to start a fresh backup, as if it has never seen the data before.

I have occasionally run a script to groom for damaged/ incorrect ACLs on the server Data - will this cause the data to seem "brand new" to Retrospect? That has not always been the case before a major Forgetting, but it does occur to me that this would cause trouble. suggestions?

andrew

• Like 1

I have occasionally run a script to groom for damaged/ incorrect ACLs on the server Data - will this cause the data to seem "brand new" to Retrospect? That has not always been the case before a major Forgetting, but it does occur to me that this would cause trouble. suggestions?

andrew

We could go from there... It happens to me the same, but I cant remember if I changed the ACLs... Could be that. I'm having a paralel backup and then recycle/begin a new one.