error -108 in restore test from older backup sets

I just upgraded yesterday from Retrospect 5 to 6, created a new backup set and backed up data to a firewire harddrive. I did a quick restore test and it worked.

Today I wanted to test restoring from my old backup sets before deleting Retrospect 5, and when I tried to restore some data (from a CD backup), I got this error message: "sorry restore preparation failed error -108 (not enough memory). I had restored from this CD backup set successfully in Retrospect 5 a few days ago with no error message. Have 640 mb ram, and there's plenty of room on the disk I was trying to restore to.

I've seen article 28123: "When Upgrading to 6.0-Mac, Create New Backup Sets," but that appears to apply if you're using older backup sets to continue backups, which I'm not. I only want the older sets available for restore if necessary.

Any ideas about how to get the restore from version 5 backup sets to work in version 6?

Thanks!

I got the update from the site. And I just did a quick test of a different CD backup set, and that one looked like it would work--I did not get the memory error message.

--Anne

Until last week I was using Retrospect 5.0.238, for an incremental nightly backup to CDs. That main version 5 backup set is 54 CDs. (I have a couple of other sets that are just a few CDs.) I recently lost a harddrive and had to use the main set to restore some lost data--fortunately everything went well, if very SLOWLY from that stack of CDs. I bought a new firewire external harddrive for my backups, upgraded to the latest version from the Retrospect website, and created a new nightly incremental backup set, which appears to be working fine (I tested restoring some data). BUT I still want to rely on the old CD backup if necessary--I tested using that for Restore, just as I had restored from it before upgrading, and almost immediately got this error message: "sorry restore preparation failed error -108 (not enough memory)." At your suggestion, I tested a different old CD backup set, and it worked. When you say I may need to rebuild the catalog of the problem set, does that REALLY mean (as it appears to in Retrospect Help) that I'll need to sit here swapping 54 CDs while Retrospect reads them? That would take forever! Is that really the only solution to a problem that didn't exist before I upgraded Retrospect? If so, it looks like my Retrospect upgrade came with a free set of 54 coasters.

Thanks for your help with this--I'm trying to avoid using my one free call to Retrospect support on this problem. --Anne

Hi

Rebuilding would mean swapping all the disks just like you say. Retrospect 6.0.193 included fixes to resolve problems when accessing older sets. From what I have seen most of those issues have been resolved. That is why I suspect a problem in the catalog file.

Try this:

Move the /library/preferences/retrospect folder to another disk and restart Retrospect. This should start you with a clean slate of preferences created in 6.0.193. Your old scripts and backup sets will not be imported. Then browse to the old set and try the restore again. If that fails move your old preferences back to where they were.

Another alternative is to keep Retrospect 5.0 on the machine. Both versions of Retrospect will exist happily together. You can use 5.0 to restore from the old set and 6.0 to do your new backups.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks, Nate. Moving the preferences didn't work (I actually still had my backup set info, etc.), BUT using Retrospect 5 did work in my quick test, so that definitely seems to be the way to go, just keeping it on the machine and using if it I ever need to restore from the old set. Again, thanks. --Anne

Archived