Dantz & Adaptec both pointing fingers at each other. Not a good situation!

I have a Mac G4 running OSX 10.3.3, with an HP Dat Surestore24 connected to an Adaptec 2930CU SCSI card. I have had some backup problems with Retrospect 6.0.

Recently I noted a Dantz article in the Dantz knowledge base, which states the following:

"Note: Currently Dantz does not support any Adaptec SCSI adapters for use in the Power Macintosh G5 or any Macintosh running Mac OS X 10.3 Panther. No changes to Retrospect will be necessary to support these adapters in Mac OS X 10.3 Panther when Adaptec provides full compatibility."

It can be found at http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27381

Subsequent phone calls to both Dantz and Adaptec Technical support lines (by myself) found that both Dantz and Adaptec both familiar with this problem and both placed the blame on each other's product for this situation. Apple's tech support department was not familiar with this situation at all.

My purpose in writing here is to ask Dantz to address this issue by having someone from your development team for the Mac version of Retrospect 6.0 speak with an appropriate developer at Adaptec and/or Apple and figure out what needs to be done to fix this unhelpful situation. It is not possible for me to know whose product is broken. However, when both Adaptec and Dantz representatives tell me that it is the other company with the broken product, I think engineers at both companies needs to take a more proactive approach to solving this problem. I am a repeat customer of Dantz and Adaptec. If either company wishes to keep me as such, they will look into this problem in a cooperative way and fix it.

Thanks,

Bob22 confused.gif

Quote:

My purpose in writing here is to ask Dantz to address this issue by having someone from your development team for the Mac version of Retrospect 6.0 speak with an appropriate developer at Adaptec and/or Apple and figure out what needs to be done to fix this unhelpful situation.

But how do you know that this isn't already being done? Dantz has often said that they work with Adaptec and Apple to improve product compatibility.

Just because the level 1 or 2 tech support folks you spoke with don't know where this stands it doesn't mean that nothing is happening.

Dave

Hi Dave and Robin,

I am happy to hear that Dantz has contacted the engineering staff at Adaptec. To answer your question in the above post (how do I know that this is not being done?):

I suppose that like many customers, I rely on the only public information that companys such as Dantz and Adpatec allow me access to, either information posted on their websites, or information disseminated via telephone calls directly to their companys. In both cases, the infomation available was that there was no collaboration between Dantz and Adaptec, and that each company was assigning responsiblity for this incompatiblity to the other company. If in fact the situation is otherwise, it would be hepful to me as a customer if this information was corrected, and could either be posted on a company website or shared via calls to a support center.

I hope that both Adaptec and Dantz can take note of the wishes of its customers in this regard. That is when something is broken with a particular product, to make all infomation about the present efforts to fix it known to the customer. I hope this is being done.

Thanks,

--Bob

Archived