Upgrade to 6.0 - all MacOS X clients now giving errors

Hi there,

Having just upgraded a Retrospect 5.1 machine to 6.0 the most pressing of the various errors and problems that have been introduced is that all of our MacOS X clients are giving an error of either...

error 512 (incompatible version)

or

error -672 (unknown)

Can anyone suggest a resolution? The machine that Retrospect is running on is a G4 10.2.8 and all of these clients were OK prior to upgrading to 6.0.

In the short term I'm going to have to revert to 5.1, as v 6.0 is obviously unusable if it can't see a large number of our clients.

Toby Blake

University of Edinburgh

The clients are of varying versions.

However, given that the server can't communicate with the clients, are you saying that the only way of getting them to work is to manually upgrade the client on each machine? This is horrible and extremely time-consuming.

Which Windows clients can I expect to work?

Toby

Replying to my own post here....

I should probably add that I've installed the new Driver Update (as I was seeing all sorts of weird and wonderful problems with auto-loading of tapes and searching the same two slots for a tape over and over and over and over again).

Oh, and I doubt whether it's connected, but Retrospect won't quit properly - it bombs out with "Assertion check at memory-c-424"

Toby

I see.

Can you confirm that there's no way of upgrading the MacOS X clients other than doing it manually, on every single one?

Was this mentioned in the README or New Features Since Retrospect 5.1 docs? If so, I didn't see it.

This lack of backward compatibilty is a real problem for sysadmins who manage anything more than a trivial number of OSX clients. Not to even mention it in the docs compounds the problem. These kind of changes required management and planning.

Toby

Can you confirm that there's no way of upgrading the MacOS X clients other than doing it manually, on every single one?

Have you attempted to update the Clients using Retrospect's client update capabilities? It should be documented in the manual, and the RCU (Retrospect Client Update) file should be included with your software.

The earliest versions of the Retrospect OS X Client did not support updating via the application, but that was back in 5.0.x (I think; might have been included in the client software that came w/5.1). So yes, you might have some original client installs that need a site visit to get it to a level that supports online updates. You could have done this a year or so ago; it's not a 6.0 issue.

Dave

Sure, that isn't a 6.0 issue, but the 6.0 server can't communicate with any of these clients, making it impossible to upgrade over the net, and making it very much a 6.0 issue. I'm pretty sure all or most of these clients are 5.1.

So, I can either upgrade them all from within 5.x server and quickly upgrade to 6.0, or I can upgrade to 6.0 and then deal with all the clients manually. The former option I'm not particularly keen to do, as it gives me no easy route back and my experiences of 6.0 up to now haven't given me enough confidence to do that (problems with tape loading, problems with hangs and problems with quitting - just off the top of my head in a few hours of playing with it).

Either way, the real problem as I see it is (a) the lack of backward compatibility, (B) the lack of an ability to update these clients over the net from 6.0, and most of all © the fact that this doesn't seem to be mentioned in the docs - this to me is a bigger issue than read-only pre-6 backup sets, which was given additional prominence.

Toby

I am not aware of other reports of 6.0 users having trouble updating 5.1 clients over the network. I would suggest manually upgrading one of the 5.1 clients to 6.0 and see if Retrospect can communicate with it? I have a feeling the problem may continue, because it is not related to the 6.0 upgrade but related to some larger network issue.

Hi there,

I've just discovered that I can do an Update All over the network, just not do each client individually, so that's a solution of kinds.

Is there a reason why this version of Retrospect isn't backwardly compatible with clients? This is a real problem and I would have thought a lot more about the implications of upgrading (I've since gone back to 5.1) if I'd known this in advance. It's particularly an issue as previous versions of Retrospect always supported older clients.

At the very least I would strongly suggest that you put a prominent mention of it in the README.

Cheers

Toby

Archived