Problems clicking triangles in pre-backup file lists

I have been noticing a problem when viewing lists of files in preparation for a backup. I view the list of files in a hierarchical form, with the multiple levels and the triangles to expand/collapse each level.

I have been having problems clicking on the triangles. When I am trying to collapse a list, I can not just click anywhere within the triangle. I have to actually click around, finding some small point in the triangle that will perform the collapse. Clicking on a triangle to expand a list has so far been impossible, I just can't seem to find the correct point.

Has anyone else seen this, and can anyone offer a solution?

Quote:

Mayoff said:

If you have any Haxies installed, try turning them off from the APE Manager

According to the APE Manager, the only haxie I have (WindowShade X) is not active in Retrospect or any of its sub-applications (AuthenticateUser and RetroRunSL). Even so, I tried adding Retrospect and its sub-applications to the list of Excluded Applications, but that had no effect. I also tried temporarily disabling APE entirely, but that also had no effect.

It seems that this may not be the problem I thought it was...

I have three volumes that normally sit on my desktop: two hard drives (one internal, one external) and an iPod (that has firewire disk use enabled). Normally I just back up my hard drives, but this time I decided to get a preview list for the iPod, as if I was going to back it up (I wasn't, but I did want to see the file list). The iPod had 8,354 files, resulting in a preview file list that was relatively small. When I tried to click on a triangle to expand a list of files, the triangle reacted immediately.

I then tried the same thing for my external hard drive, which has 178,782 files. If I bring up a preview file list, clicking on the triangle has no effect (as I suspected). However, if I HOLD the mouse button down on the triangle, it will react after a delay of a quarter of a second (or so). This also happened in the preview file list for my internal hard drive, which had 220,589 files.

Based on this experience, I would guess that the delay from clicking to the triangle responding depends on the number of files that could be displayed by the preview window.

Quote:

It seems that this may not be the problem I thought it was...

You mean that this behavior is being caused by a third party system haxie, as the Dantz tech support person suggested?

How did you "disable" the APE stuff? Have you tried removing it entirely? And any other system hacks that you have? Some of the stuff from RogueAmoeba has been shown to cause problems with Retrospect, too...

dave

Quote:

CallMeDave said:

You mean that this behavior is being caused by a third party system haxie, as the Dantz tech support person suggested?

No. As I said: "I would guess that the delay from clicking to the triangle responding depends on the number of files that could be displayed by the preview window." Normally when I click on a triangle I click normally (press and release mouse button very quickly), which is apparently too fast for a preview window with many items.

Quote:

How did you "disable" the APE stuff? Have you tried removing it entirely? And any other system hacks that you have? Some of the stuff from RogueAmoeba has been shown to cause problems with Retrospect, too...

There are two ways to disable APE. One way is to tell APE not to load itself for specific applications (the "Exclude List" in the APE Manager). That is on a per-haxie basis (some apps can be excluded for one haxie, but not for others, etc.). Since the only haxie I have is WindowShade X, it doesn't really matter for me if the exclude list is per haxie or for all haxies. I tried this method of getting APE to ignore Retrospect and it had no effect.

The second way to disable APE is to temporarily disable it (through the "Information" tab in the APE Manger). Temporarily disabling APE keeps it from loading entirely for one session. The user has to start a new session (i.e. disable APE, log out, log in) for APE to be disabled, but once it's disabled it is as if APE was never installed. I tried this method of getting APE to ignore Retrospect and it had no effect.

I don't have any other "system hacks". As for RogueAmoeba, I don't know what that is, so I'm pretty sure that I don't have anything like that on my system.

There is one last thing for me to note. The APE manager lists all programs that have APE loaded. In other words, if a program is not on the list of "Enhanced Applications", then it is not being affected by APE (or any haxies that use the APE, like WindowShade X). I have never seen Retrospect (or any of its sub-applications) listed in the "Enhanced Applications" list before. This is because Retrospect is being run as root, and APE (which runs with the permissions of the user who is currently logged in) does not have the privileges to get into a program running as root.

Quote:

There are two ways to disable APE

You neglect to list the most thorough way to disable installed software; to uninstall it.

- I don't see this behavior, no matter how many files.

- I don't have any APE software installed.

- Dantz has reported that APE software reacts with Retrospect

The above three observed facts, on their own, do not _prove_ that your experience is caused by APE. But it's a pretty good lead to follow. Uninstalling this software seems to me to be the logical final test.

Dave

OK. Hopefully this is enough of a "final test":

1) Perform an Archive&Install of Mac OS X 10.3

2) Install all Software Upgrades (including 10.3.2), restarting when necessary

3) Install Retrospect 6

Notice that I did not install WindowShade X, so APE is not installed. However, I still have this problem.

Archived