Backing up 10 Gig to an external drive

I suspect this is easy, but I can't seem to make it work, I can't find it in the manual and I'm getting frustrated, so I thought I'd ask. My apologies if this is the 1,000th time you've seen this.

I'm running Retrospect 5.6 Desktop on W2K Pro. I want to backup my C: drive (11Gig) to an external USB drive (20Gig). I discovered that I can't backup it up to a single backup set because the file is too big for a FAT32 file system. So I need to define multiple backup sets. Here's what I thought I would do:

Backup C:\Home\Java and C\Home\Music to one backup set (3Gig)

Backup the remainder of C:\Home to a second backup set (4Gig)

Backup the remainder of C: to a third backup set (4Gig)

Now, how do do this? I set up subvolumes for \Home\Java and \Home\Music, but there doesn't seem to be a way to combine them in one backup set. Ok, they could each have their own backup set. But how do I define a backup set that excludes those two directories/subvolumes? Do a define a filter to exclude all files named "C:\Home\Music\*", for example?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

The 4gb sources are going to have to be narrowed down a bit more. About 3.8 gb is where it will start giving you trouble.

In your Sources, you can pick more than one source.

Highlight the hard drive containing the folders you would like to backup, and click the Subvolume button. Navigate to the folder you would like to backup, and click Define.

You can now select this folder as a source to be backed up, instead of the entire hard drive.

Repeat this process if you would like to define more than one Subvolume.

To select more than one subvolume for backup, use Ctrl + click to highlight multiple folders.

To define an exclude - you need to go to Special/Selectors and setup an exclude to exclue what you do not want. There is a Check Mark button under there that will check it to make sure it is doing what you want.

(I thought I posted a similar reply earlier but it didn't show up. Apologies if this is redundant)

Thanks for the reply, Melissa. So I have 25 folders directly under C:\, and I want to put all of them

except C:\Home into one backup set. Do I need to define 24 subvolumes, and then select them all individually? Except that won't include the ordinary files residing directly under C:\. How do I exclude one folder only from a backup set?

I need to be able to script all this, so it will run unattended. That part seems easy enough, once I get the proper files selected (or deselected.)

Thanks,

Mike

to exclude one folder from a backupset you need to setup a selector that excludes that folder. Desktop and above are the versions that allow you to do this. This is not in Express.

After you defined your folders you want to backup,

To select more than one subvolume for backup, use Ctrl + click to highlight multiple folders.

Archived