Retrospect 9 auto shutdown macs

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The only way I know to use the energy settings in the client's system preferences. Turn off at a time you KNOW the backup is already finished. Not ideal, I know...

I found a work-around in v8. I'm not using v9 yet, so you'll have to experiment yourself. (It's been a while since I developed this, so I'd have to go back and see what I did.) v8 writes to a temporary file (I think it is some sort of log), while it's backing up. When the back up completes, v8 deletes this temporary file.

Once v8 starts its backup up, I just launch an AppleScript that loops every few minutes testing for the existence of the temporary file. When my script discovers that the file no longer exists, it fires off its "shutdown" routine. Of course, the routine could be anything: sleep, quitting v8, unmounting drives, email alerts, etc. I even have it read the log and "rewrite" it to my liking (Raw v8 logs are not particularly human-readable, so the script extracts just what I'm after and writes that to a text file on my desktop. Each morning I get a Text Edit mini-report of what happened during last night's backup).

Sound's cludgy, I know, and it is. But it does work reliably. When I'm ready to go to v9, I'll have to revisit this to see if my script still works. I'll repost my findings at that time.

Of course, if Retrospect could add some AppleScript support, or at least restore the Retrospect Event Handler stuff v6 used to do, that would be ideal. Hint, hint!