Deleted Files Not On Backup

I'm fairly certain my confusion here is because I'm a newbie to Retrospect. I had successfully set up backup scripts on our Mac Mini Server, and all was working well... until someone discovered they had accidentally deleted some files from the server, several days previously. The backup had ran since and when I went to do a restore, it had seemingly overwrote what had been there a week prior. The missing files were still missing. It was indeed all the files currently on the server, but I was under the impression that Retrospect did incremental backups... leaving what was on the original backup and only ADDING to, not overwriting.

So I'm sure I've probably misconfigured something along the way, and need some help. How can I make sure all files on a busy server have been safely backed up somewhere? There's always a chance someone will move or delete something, and not figure it out until later. I want to be sure a backup was kept at some time. Does this have something to do with grooming? I've tried to understand, and seemingly fail, to understand quite how it works.

Thanks much!

At least in the Windows version, only the last backup (per source) is listed as the default.

See page 154: http://www.purplerage.com/support/manuals/Retrospect/Retrospect%20for%20Mac%20V8%20Users%20Guide.pdf

Maybe you need to click the "More backups" button seen on the screenshot?

Thanks for the reply... I tried that, and backups for that particular script do not appear, only the most recent one.

I was under the impression that Retrospect did incremental backups... leaving what was on the original backup and only ADDING to, not overwriting.

That is correct; you have to go very far out of your way to get Retrospect to delete anything it's already written to whatever Media Set Member you're using.

It's impossible to know what may have gone wrong without knowing the steps you took. Please describe how you backed up and how you attempted to Restore; perhaps someone will notice the fault.

-dave

That is correct; you have to go very far out of your way to get Retrospect to delete anything it's already written to whatever Media Set Member you're using.

It's impossible to know what may have gone wrong without knowing the steps you took. Please describe how you backed up and how you attempted to Restore; perhaps someone will notice the fault.

-dave

I'm backing up an external RAID array to another external drive for offsite storage. In the script, I've used basically the default settings:

- All Files

- Match source files against the media set is ON

- Don't add duplicate files is ON

- Thorough verification ON

- Data compression OFF

As far as the media set, I have these settings:

- Fast catalog rebuild

- No grooming

The script runs every day, yet under "backups" for the media set only the most recent one is listed.

As for restoring, I went to the Restore icon, selected "restore selected files and folders" and if I browse to the directory where the files once were, they aren't there. I assume it's because it's looking at the most recent backup snapshot, AFTER the files were accidentally deleted. The problem is, Retrospect isn't recording previous backups under "More Backups". I know they were completed, but I'm not given access. Is there anything else specifically you'd need to know?

The problem is, Retrospect isn't recording previous backups under "More Backups". I know they were completed, but I'm not given access.

Do you mean that, if you click on the More Backups button, the retrieve window is empty? Or is the More Backups button grayed out?

Have you tried searching for the desired file by name instead of using the backup snapshot?

Do you mean that, if you click on the More Backups button, the retrieve window is empty? Or is the More Backups button grayed out?

Have you tried searching for the desired file by name instead of using the backup snapshot?

The retrieve window was empty. HOWEVER, I had to restart the Retrospect engine for a separate issue (a drive saying "busy" when it wasn't), and lo and behold the list of backups came back! Bug, perhaps?