Retro 9 Restore Fail

darrensen

Not getting on too well with version 9 running on Snow Leopard.

Every time i try to restore a file or folder, it starts to restore, and then crashes. Where i would normally get the server name i get 127.0.0.1.

I've tried shutting the engine down and reloading, made no difference.

Desperately need to recover this file asap.

Thanks

Darren

EDIT - just tested this on a different script and that is the same.

Edited by Darrensen

Wow after a reboot it's even worse!

When i select "more backups" the machine just hangs. Left it 5 + minutes and then closed it down and reopened. When i did i noticed that a restore scripts was some how running.

Restore script won't stop, engine won't stop. Running out of ideas now. :-(

I've been a user of Retrospect for 8 years and i thought version 8 was buggy when it came out!!!???

Ok something i should probably point out.

When the restore fails it save in the scripts as it should do. If i ask it to run again it runs, but then tries to restore all of our back. I only need 1.6gb not 1.3tb!

If i create the restore script and save and then run it, again it tries to restore the whole backup.

So this proves that the catalog is fine, just buggy software.

I'll have to restore the whole thing (8hrs) and then go back to a previous version. This just isn't usable!

Guest Steve Maser

If you've had *crashes* (for whatever reason) then the possibility for corruption is there -- whether it be in your catalog or your media set files. I had one media set a (long) while back that I had difficulties with that I could only end up resolving by starting a new media set to start a clean copy of the data and then copying the media set data from the "bad" media set to the new/good media set. It was never clear to me what went wrong with that one...

(You haven't indicated your computer setup or what/how your media sets are stored...)

So this proves that the catalog is fine, just buggy software.

I'll have to restore the whole thing (8hrs) and then go back to a previous version. This just isn't usable!

When you upgraded to Retro 9, did you retain your configuration from Retro 8? If so, it may be that your Config80.dat file was corrupted sometime in the past.

Try this: Stop the engine and remove Config80.dat and Config80.bak from /Library/Application Support/Retrospect; then restart the engine. This will force Retrospect to create a new config file. Then try a restore from the troublesome media set.

If the restore now succeeds, your config file was corrupt. If the restore still fails, your catalog may be corrupt, or there may be another issue.

With Retro 8, we encountered a variety of inexplicable problems that were solved by uninstalling and then reinstalling the console and engine. While one would hope that Retro 9 will behave better in this regard, it may still be worth a try.

When you upgraded to Retro 9, did you retain your configuration from Retro 8? If so, it may be that your Config80.dat file was corrupted sometime in the past.

Try this: Stop the engine and remove Config80.dat and Config80.bak from /Library/Application Support/Retrospect; then restart the engine. This will force Retrospect to create a new config file. Then try a restore from the troublesome media set.

If the restore now succeeds, your config file was corrupt. If the restore still fails, your catalog may be corrupt, or there may be another issue.

With Retro 8, we encountered a variety of inexplicable problems that were solved by uninstalling and then reinstalling the console and engine. While one would hope that Retro 9 will behave better in this regard, it may still be worth a try.

I've tried removing the config files as suggested but now my scripts have gone. It asked for the trial serial and now it looks as though it's gone back to factory reset?

If you've had *crashes* (for whatever reason) then the possibility for corruption is there -- whether it be in your catalog or your media set files. I had one media set a (long) while back that I had difficulties with that I could only end up resolving by starting a new media set to start a clean copy of the data and then copying the media set data from the "bad" media set to the new/good media set. It was never clear to me what went wrong with that one...

(You haven't indicated your computer setup or what/how your media sets are stored...)

Xserve 2.8gz Intel

10gb Ram

Disk backup to a drobo connected via FW800

Sources - Apple RAID Fibre Channel

I've tried removing the config files as suggested but now my scripts have gone. It asked for the trial serial and now it looks as though it's gone back to factory reset?

All scripts and lists are included in that config file, so what you're seeing is what's expected.

Try a test restore from this default configuration. If it succeeds, you will either need to restore a backup copy of "Config80" from before the time the file was corrupted, or else recreate all your scripts and lists from scratch.

If the problem persists, it's likely that the config file was OK, and you can drag the original file back to /Library/Application Support/Retrospect.

What does this mean? What is "it"? How did you "close" whatever "it" is?

When gracefully stoping the Retrospect Engine, 5 minutes is not a long delay if the program is working on an Activity.

Sorry, i was referring to the console.

After a reboot this problem seem to have been resolved.

Currently in the process of repairing the catalog. Might be here a while though, it's about a 2tb backup.

Will keep your informed of my progress and thanks very much for the help so far, it's much appreciated.

What was different with the last reboot compared to the first?

When i clicked "more backups it was hanging".

After reboot the console it seemed much snappier.

Ok so here's the latest. - Just finished the catalog repair and tried to restore the file. Afraid it's still the same, it flies into the "Activities" tab and then the console crashes and comes up with the 127.0.0.1.

Last night i did a complete restore of our shared files. It's restore a lof of stuff and as you probably know it does it in alphabetical order. Unfortunately it stops at a certain point, long before the files i need to recover. So some how it looks like the backup is corrupt from a certain point.

This is happening to 2 separate backup sets, so this must be a software issue rather than catalog?

Any ideas where i go from here?

Edited by Darrensen

Guest Steve Maser

Here's what I recommend...

1) Make a *new Media Set*. Do a new backup of your Shared Files. Confirm that you can restore what you backed up. This will confirm that there's not a restore bug related to something specific you are trying to restore -- in which case report that!

Assuming this new media set backup/restore worked...

2) Then make a "copy media set" script and copy the contents of your possibly "bad" media set to the new "good" media set. Hopefully that will fully run without crashing -- though if there is a problem with your "bad" *media set* -- it might (but the rebuild of the catalog might have told you that...)

3) If that copy script worked to move all your data from the bad media set to the new/good media set, then try to restore from this "good" media set -- but try to restore your original targeted restore selection. If that fails, then you'll need to try to isolate what you were trying to restore and see if the problem is specifically related to what you are trying to restore.

Your steps above implies there might be some kind of file/folder name restore bug that you might be able to isolate (if your first restore was a manual selection of files to restore and that *crashed*, did the "complete restore" stop at the same certain point as the manual restore would have restored, but crashed?)