Retrospect 6 And A Very Slow 8.

Hi Guys!

I have been using Retrospect 6 for many many years. I am now using a registered trial version of 8. Unfortunately, the 8 is painfully slow. I am using exactly the same setup for both 6 and 8. Backing up a HD with 70 GB of data results in a speed of around 500 MB/m using 6 and 20-40 MB/m using 8. This is not what I expected! I know there are others having the same problem, but I have not seen any relevant answers so far. I have not bought the software yet, but would like to ...... Also, how to exclude folders and its content is very easy to understand in 6, but in 8 ............ No success so far. Appreciate a response for this before trial license expires in 4 weeks. Regards, Henrik.

Edited by HenrikFortaleza

PowerBook G4 with OSX 10.5.8. Backed up to external LaCie HD through FireWire 800.

Retrospect 8 is optimized for Intel Macs and "little endian". A PowerPC is "big endian", so a LOT of byte swapping takes place which reduces performance. You can get acceptable performance from a G5, but not from a G4 or G3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness

Retrospect 8 is optimized for Intel Macs and "little endian". A PowerPC is "big endian", so a LOT of byte swapping takes place which reduces performance. You can get acceptable performance from a G5, but not from a G4 or G3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness

OK, thanks! I am in the process of buying a new Mac with i5 so that will solve the problem. However, I would also appreciate an answer on my problem to setup a rule to exclude a folder and its content. What should be used in the drop down menus?

-Henrik

I would also appreciate an answer on my problem to setup a rule to exclude a folder and its content. What should be used in the drop down menus?

If the folder in question has a unique name, you can use "Folder name is" in the Exclude section. If the desired folder could be confused with another, you should use "Folder Mac path" "contains" (for a partial path) or "is" (for the complete path).

If you are planning to use multiple conditions as part of an "and" condition (which in Retrospect 8 is done as "All of the following are true"), be aware that there is a bug in Retrospect 8.2 that prevents selection of the "All" condition at the top level of a rule. The workaround is to create nested sublevels beginning one level down.

(If you haven't found it yet, you create sublevels by holding down the Option key. The plus sign for adding a condition changes to three dots for adding a nested condition.)

You will also note that there is no simple way to test a rule in Retro 8 as there was in Retro 6. Instead, you have to write a test script that contains the rule.

If the folder in question has a unique name, you can use "Folder name is" in the Exclude section. If the desired folder could be confused with another, you should use "Folder Mac path" "contains" (for a partial path) or "is" (for the complete path).

If you are planning to use multiple conditions as part of an "and" condition (which in Retrospect 8 is done as "All of the following are true"), be aware that there is a bug in Retrospect 8.2 that prevents selection of the "All" condition at the top level of a rule. The workaround is to create nested sublevels beginning one level down.

(If you haven't found it yet, you create sublevels by holding down the Option key. The plus sign for adding a condition changes to three dots for adding a nested condition.)

You will also note that there is no simple way to test a rule in Retro 8 as there was in Retro 6. Instead, you have to write a test script that contains the rule.

Thanks a lot for taking your time to answer my questions in an understandable manner :-). -Henrik

Edited by HenrikFortaleza