Convert From Win To Mac Retrospect: Hints, Suggestions?

Hi All,

We're a non-profit, and have been running Retrospect Windows Pro for a few years on a small network, with Win/Linux clients.

A friend donated some shiny new Macs... and our tired old Windows 2000 box that's been doing the backups is Just Too Old. Time to switch. So... We've got Retrospect Mac 8.2... which apparently works with our existing (7.6) Win clients.

Current environment: backing up to external disk(s) that get swapped out occasionally.

My questions:

* Can we literally convert from the Win to Mac version without losing... backup sets, backup configuration, etc? Any hints?

* What do I need to watch out for on the Mac end? [i'll admit, some of the frustrations with 8.2 make me a bit nervous... wondering if we should just leave Mac Retrospect in its box until the next rev comes out...]

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can provide!

Pete

* Can we literally convert from the Win to Mac version without losing... backup sets, backup configuration, etc? Any hints?

No, you can't.

You should keep the media archived off site in case you need them, preferably with the old server computer as well.

If you don't need the old media, you can probably reuse it. But think real hard about that as you will erase the backups stored on the media.

I can see why scripts, configuration etc wouldn't carry over. But what about the Backup Sets?

There was much talk on the old dantz.com forum about Retro 8 (Mac) and Retro 7 (Win) using the same backup set format (or at least being somewhat compatible). Did this eventuate into reality? Has anyone successfully migrated backup sets from one to the other, even in a read-only fashion?

I can see why scripts, configuration etc wouldn't carry over. But what about the Backup Sets?

There was much talk on the old dantz.com forum about Retro 8 (Mac) and Retro 7 (Win) using the same backup set format (or at least being somewhat compatible). Did this eventuate into reality? Has anyone successfully migrated backup sets from one to the other, even in a read-only fashion?

Starting with Retrospect 7.7 for Windows, they are compatible, You wrote you have 7.6, which are not compatible.

Starting with Retrospect 7.7 for Windows, they are compatible, You wrote you have 7.6, which are not compatible.

Thanks. That's good to hear. (We have v7.7, not v7.6; I have no intention of switching to the Mac version for our main backup solution, but it could be useful for transferring our old pre-v8 Mac data into the current Windows system.)

My suggestion to the original poster: download the Mac trial version and sample it first, before considering a complete migration. I haven't personally used v8 yet, but there seems to be enough dissatisfaction with it to justify being very cautious (as you should be whenever contemplating a major change to your backup system). Keeping your old backup sets intact, as per Lennart's suggestion, would also be wise.

Thanks. That's good to hear. (We have v7.7, not v7.6; I have no intention of switching to the Mac version for our main backup solution, but it could be useful for transferring our old pre-v8 Mac data into the current Windows system.)

My suggestion to the original poster: download the Mac trial version and sample it first, before considering a complete migration. I haven't personally used v8 yet, but there seems to be enough dissatisfaction with it to justify being very cautious (as you should be whenever contemplating a major change to your backup system). Keeping your old backup sets intact, as per Lennart's suggestion, would also be wise.

I'm sorry to be unclear. Here's the full story:

Windows Retrospect 7.7 is compatible with Retrospect Mac 8, in terms of backup sets (or "Media Sets" as they are called nowadays.

Windows Retrospect 7.6 (and earlier) is only compatible with earlier Windows versions.

Mac Retrospect 6.x (and earlier) is only compatible with earlier Mac versions.

So, no, you can't use your pre-8 Mac data with anything but a Mac and Retrospect Mac.

I'm sorry to be unclear. Here's the full story:

Windows Retrospect 7.7 is compatible with Retrospect Mac 8, in terms of backup sets (or "Media Sets" as they are called nowadays.

Windows Retrospect 7.6 (and earlier) is only compatible with earlier Windows versions.

Mac Retrospect 6.x (and earlier) is only compatible with earlier Mac versions.

So, no, you can't use your pre-8 Mac data with anything but a Mac and Retrospect Mac.

So this isn't possible?:

(1) Open Mac 6.1 backup set in Mac 8.2.

(2) Transfer the 6.1 set's contents to a new Mac 8.2 backup set.

(3) Open Mac 8.2 backup set in Win 7.7.

(4) Transfer the 8.2 set's contents to a new Win 7.7 backup set.

So this isn't possible?:

(1) Open Mac 6.1 backup set in Mac 8.2.

(2) Transfer the 6.1 set's contents to a new Mac 8.2 backup set.

(3) Open Mac 8.2 backup set in Win 7.7.

(4) Transfer the 8.2 set's contents to a new Win 7.7 backup set.

1) Yes, but as read-only. You can only restore and never backup to the backup set.

2) That might be possible, I don't know.

3) Any "native" 8.2 media set can be used in Win 7.7.

4) I think that should be possible.

Before buying, there is a free 30 day trial for both Mac and Windows versions.

• 2 weeks later...

VERY helpful, if disconcerting. THANKS!!!

I'll start a new thread with my concern...

1) Yes, but as read-only. You can only restore and never backup to the backup set.

2) That might be possible, I don't know.

3) Any "native" 8.2 media set can be used in Win 7.7.

4) I think that should be possible.

Before buying, there is a free 30 day trial for both Mac and Windows versions.

Hi All,

We're a non-profit, and have been running Retrospect Windows Pro for a few years on a small network, with Win/Linux clients.

A friend donated some shiny new Macs... and our tired old Windows 2000 box that's been doing the backups is Just Too Old. Time to switch. So... We've got Retrospect Mac 8.2... which apparently works with our existing (7.6) Win clients.

Current environment: backing up to external disk(s) that get swapped out occasionally.

My questions:

* What do I need to watch out for on the Mac end? [i'll admit, some of the frustrations with 8.2 make me a bit nervous... wondering if we should just leave Mac Retrospect in its box until the next rev comes out...]

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can provide!

Pete

Wisdom?

Seriously, don't do it.

The PC version 7.6/7.7 is soooooo much better than the Mac V8.2. Trust me I'm using it and longing for the 'good old days' of the Windows version.

To add to the vastly inferior software and GUI, the new version seems to ignore the fact that you are running a much more powerful and capable computer. It is a waste of good hardware to be running this god-awful software.

You will be disappointed. As was I...