Does Retrospect Require Maintanence?

As in deleting some preferences files...

Quite the opposite: You should save a copy of the preference files in case they get corrupt. But that's it.

OK, maybe you should groom your Disk Media Sets once in a while?

Preference files:

/Library/Application\ Support/Retrospect/Config80.bak

/Library/Application\ Support/Retrospect/Config80.dat

Edited by Lennart Thelander

i would save the catalog-files as well, the time frame depends on your needs

for disk backups i as well write down the corresponding number of the .rdb file from the timepoint i did save the catalog and the preferences.

makes life much easier in case of a crash.

Quite the opposite: You should save a copy of the preference files in case they get corrupt. But that's it.

OK, maybe you should groom your Disk Media Sets once in a while?

Preference files:

/Library/Application\ Support/Retrospect/Config80.bak

/Library/Application\ Support/Retrospect/Config80.dat

OK, new problem. I can't add a new tape storage set. It hangs right after I press the "plus" symbol for adding a new storage set. I solved this once before by reinstalling retrospect, but is there a way to reset the program so that I can fix this?

Thanks!

It hangs right after I press the "plus" symbol for adding a new storage set.

How long did you wait? Communication between the Retrospect console and engine leaves much to be desired, and sometimes takes a bit of time.

...is there a way to reset the program so that I can fix this?

"Resetting" the program means stopping the engine and moving both Config80.dat and Config80.bak out of the folder /Library/Application Support/Retrospect. You will lose all your scripts, source lists, etc. This is pretty drastic. Replacing both of those files with saved good copies as Lennart suggests is a happier choice, provided you have those copies.

We have found that things can occasionally go bad with the engine installation, leading to strange behavior. Reinstalling the engine and console while retaining your old config files may help and can't hurt; if it solves the problem, your configurations are right where you last used them.

How long did you wait? Communication between the Retrospect console and engine leaves much to be desired, and sometimes takes a bit of time.

"Resetting" the program means stopping the engine and moving both Config80.dat and Config80.bak out of the folder /Library/Application Support/Retrospect. You will lose all your scripts, source lists, etc. This is pretty drastic. Replacing both of those files with saved good copies as Lennart suggests is a happier choice, provided you have those copies.

We have found that things can occasionally go bad with the engine installation, leading to strange behavior. Reinstalling the engine and console while retaining your old config files may help and can't hurt; if it solves the problem, your configurations are right where you last used them.

Hi Twickland!

I waited over an hour for the program to come back to life. I managed to trick it back into working by clicking aroudn the different show/hide view options in the window. So, I managed to make a new backup of some files that I was having to a new backup set. I still have to get the other backup sets tested to see if they are working.

thanks again!

mike