Needs Media @ Restoring

hi folks,

i tried to restore a backup (of my user folder).

it's the 2nd attempt to restore in one week time.

the 1st restore action went well.

trying it for the 2nd time, i get a message that retrospect 8 'needs media'. navigating to the dedicated folder does not solve the problem.

any suggestions?

ralph

What kind of media set are you using?

How many members does it have?

Are you sure it's the restore that "needs media" and not a backup running at the same time?

it has 5 members of which 4 members contain 0KB

and i'm sure that there's no back up running in the background.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/uploads/monthly_10_2011/post-96687-050932300%201317739956.jpg

Edited by r@lph

trying it for the 2nd time, i get a message that retrospect 8 'needs media'. navigating to the dedicated folder does not solve the problem.

It's not clear exactly what you did here. Could you describe in detail the steps you took that resulted in this problem, where you got the "needs media" message, and what/where was the "dedicated folder" you navigated to?

It's not clear exactly what you did here. Could you describe in detail the steps you took that resulted in this problem, where you got the "needs media" message, and what/where was the "dedicated folder" you navigated to?

i tried to restore a back up off a volume (data backup, not a bootable back up).

once the script is activated it (retrospect) starts preparations. then the 'needs media-sign' starts blinking.

trying to browse to the proper mediaset (a certain folder in retrospect folder -> see attachment) it does not 'recognise' the folder (although the name is correct).

http://forums.support.roxio.com/uploads/monthly_10_2011/post-96687-026094400%201318013150.jpg

Your folder structure is wonked; there shouldn't be nested Retrospect folders or nested Media Set folders.

There are ways that Retrospect can cause this to happen, but it's unknown what steps you took (on purposes or "by accident").

Is there anything inside the folder:

</Retrospect/BackUp VD MacPro/1-BackUp VD MacPro/Retrospect/Backup VD MacPro/> ?

Your folder structure is wonked; there shouldn't be nested Retrospect folders or nested Media Set folders.

There are ways that Retrospect can cause this to happen, but it's unknown what steps you took (on purposes or "by accident").

Is there anything inside the folder:

</Retrospect/BackUp VD MacPro/1-BackUp VD MacPro/Retrospect/Backup VD MacPro/> ?

hi dave, thanks for helping me out:

Edited by r@lph

From what we know, you have a Disk Media Set with a single Member that contains data, plus you've added additional members to a location you have chosen to blur out (thus preventing anyone trying to help from helping).

The correct folder structure on a Disk Media Set with a single member is pretty simple (path starts at /Volumes/YourMemberVolume/):

Retrospect/Backup Media

Retrospect/MediaSetFoo/1-MediaSetFoo/AB000000.rdb

Retrospect/MediaSetFoo/1-MediaSetFoo/AB000002.rdb

Retrospect/MediaSetFoo/1-MediaSetFoo/AB000003.rdb

Retrospect/MediaSetFoo/1-MediaSetFoo/AB000004.rdb

Retrospect/MediaSetFoo/1-MediaSetFoo/AB000005.rdb

Retrospect/MediaSetFoo/1-MediaSetFoo/AB000006.rdb

etc etc etc

It appears you added new Members, and pointed Retrospect to store those new Members on the same volume as your first Member had been stored (and then blurred out the paths on your screen shot, ensuring no one would be able to know that).