Backup Stalls - Wants New Media

D Wood

I'm running v8.2.0 (399) on an iMac with OS10.6.8. The Mac HD is 320Gb of which 87GB is used, 232GB available.

I back up to a partitioned WD external hard drive, the partition is 200GB with 4.17GB available.

Retrospect is programmed to run daily at 10pm, which it has been doing for months.

In the last few days, it has stalled and I get a flashing ?. in the summary screen, status says Needs media (choose media), but I don't have the faintest idea what I am supposed to do.Is the partition full? How can I make more room in it - can older saves be deleted?

This is from the Log

+ Normal backup using Media Set A at 30/09/11

To Media Set Media Set A...

- 30/09/11 10:23:21 AM: Copying iMac HD

SetEOF: ftruncate failed, fret = -1, lret = 0, eofpos = 618824480

> !Can't create session, error -1100 ( invalid handle)

30/09/11 5:26:02 PM: Execution stopped by operator

Remaining: 1288 files, 301.1 MB

Completed: 0 files, 0 B

Performance: 0 MB/minute

Duration: 07:02:40 (07:02:35 idle/loading/preparing)

> !Can't save Media Set Media Set A, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

If anyone can help I would be grateful for any advice.

In the last few days, it has stalled and I get a flashing ?. in the summary screen, status says Needs media (choose media), but I don't have the faintest idea what I am supposed to do.Is the partition full? How can I make more room in it - can older saves be deleted?

If you are using a "Disk media set", then you can use Grooming to groom out the oldest backups.

If you are using a "File media set", you have to get antother hard drive. ( Or delete ALL your backups, which would be a very bad idea.)

Lennart

Thank you for your reply.

Grooming might be the answer, it appears my backup partition is full. However under Options, grooming is greyed out. If I click on the Groom icon at the top of the screen, I get a window asking if I want to groom the media set, but when I click Groom, nothing happens.

Can you please tell me how to access Grooming?

Lennart

I didn't realise that although stalled, the program was still running.

I managed to stop everything, then I was able to "groom to Retrospect defined policy", and ran a backup - everything worked, but it took hours.

This is a dumb program, I mean it is probably very clever, but it doesn't communicate with the user at all well. It would have been useful for instance to tell me the disk was full and what my options were instead of talking about errors 1102. When I tried to groom, it should have told me that I needed to stop the backup first. Instead, if you don't know what to do, it just sits there. Very frustrating.

Thanks for helping me through it though!

Lennart

I didn't realise that although stalled, the program was still running.

I managed to stop everything, then I was able to "groom to Retrospect defined policy", and ran a backup - everything worked, but it took hours.

This is a dumb program, I mean it is probably very clever, but it doesn't communicate with the user at all well. It would have been useful for instance to tell me the disk was full and what my options were instead of talking about errors 1102. When I tried to groom, it should have told me that I needed to stop the backup first. Instead, if you don't know what to do, it just sits there. Very frustrating.

Thanks for helping me through it though!

Well, I don't think the errors are related to the fact that the destination disk was full.

And you have to enable grooming before Retrospect will groom (instead of asking for another diak).

Lennart

When I finished for the day, I restarted the iMac and left it on, so no other programs were running. Retrospect ran a backup at 10pm with the following result.

It's apparently backing up OK, but I'm still getting the yellow triangle warning icon, but again, there's no explanation of what the problem might be.

Should I be worried? How do I get the green icon?

I'm still getting the yellow triangle warning icon, but again, there's no explanation of what the problem might be.

It's right there in the log, with the asterisk starting the line. A file didn't compare, so Retrospect provides a clue that the log should be inspected.

In this case, it's just a temporary file, one that wouldn't be unusual to change during the course of a backup. It looks like you're in good shape.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for that, it's a relief, I can tell you.

I didn't mean it is a dumb ie stupid program, I meant it's dumb in that it doesn't communicate well to the non-techie user. You have to learn the program and all the special language it uses, which is too much for anyone outside IT - my eyes glaze over when I try to read the manual!

The external drive I'm using is 500GB, it has 3 partitions, and Retrospect uses a 200GB partition - I've checked on Disk Utility, and that is how the drive is divided. However, I notice that according to Retrospect, there is only 105.5GB available - any idea why it doesn't use the whole partition?

Retrospect uses a 200GB partition... However ... according to Retrospect, there is only 105.5GB available - any idea why it doesn't use the whole partition?

Yes; because when you added it as a Member for the Disk Media Set you accepted the settings Retrospect offered, shown in both Gb and % of capacity. You could have changed it then, or you can change it now.

Maintaining some free space on a Disk Media Set Member is a good idea if you intend to Groom the Member. If you just intend to fill it and move on to a new empty Member you can up that percentage to 100%.