Mail Notifications Problem

DSPESG

I thought I had seen a thread on this topic before, but I can’t find it now.

I’ve been reworking my office’s computing infrastructure and have migrated our Retrospect backup to a new computer. While setting it up I hoped I would be able to have the new installation send me notifications of backup processes, but I am unable to do so. I have the correct settings in place in the preference and I see in the server log that a connection is made over SMTP—but then immediately dropped without any sort of transaction being recorded.

Have others experienced a similar problem with their Retrospect setups? We’re running the latest version of the software, 8.2.0 (399). The old server *did* send e-mail notifications successfully, so I’m a bit confused why the new one seems incapable of doing so.

Retrospect machine: Mac OS X 10.7.1, 2 × 2.66 dual core Xeon, 10 GB RAM

Mail server: Mac OS X Server 10.6.8, current on all updates, Mail explicitly set to allow connections from the LAN

Thanks in advance for any assistance or pointers to help.

—David O’Donnell, it@pesgce.com

Did the mail server change during any of this? If you can use 10.6 and connect to the mail server using Retrospect but 10.7 fails, I would point to something specific within 10.7 that is blocking the traffic.

Add the port number to the IP address. IP:port

The mail server also changed, from Exchange 2000 to the machine in my original post. As I mentioned, I see the Retrospect machine connecting to the mail server over SMTP, but the Retrospect box then immediately drops the connection. I’ve even changed Postfix’ logging level to the most detailed possible and all I get is:

Aug 23 11:33:27 centralservices postfix/smtpd[62968]: connect from unknown[192.168.0.166]

Aug 23 11:33:28 centralservices postfix/smtpd[62968]: disconnect from unknown[192.168.0.166]

The mail server also changed, from Exchange 2000 to the machine in my original post. As I mentioned, I see the Retrospect machine connecting to the mail server over SMTP, but the Retrospect box then immediately drops the connection. I’ve even changed Postfix’ logging level to the most detailed possible and all I get is:

Aug 23 11:33:27 centralservices postfix/smtpd[62968]: connect from unknown[192.168.0.166]

Aug 23 11:33:28 centralservices postfix/smtpd[62968]: disconnect from unknown[192.168.0.166]

OK, I have it working now. Adding the port forced it to do more than just open the connection, at which point I saw that I had to allow SASL LOGIN authentication to SMTP. Doing so has fixed the problem—thank you for the assistance!