Updating V6 Catalog To V8... How?

servo15

Hi all

Been a retrospect user for over 10 years now and always been pleased with the product.

Had to upgrade to V8 as our old Mac refused to connect to the network, so I've had to purchase and upgrade to install onto another Mac.

So... how do I convert my old catalog files over to V8. I can't seem to find any info on this.

I really don't want to create a whole new catalog and back-up sets from scratch as it'll mean having two lots of back-up systems. One with teh old catalogs and a new one.

Our back-up is basically an incremental back-up of a Buffalo station and I don't want to have to decide which files/folders want backing up. At the moment we just back-up the contents of our 'Work' folder incrementally. Which generally has worked fine for us in the past. I just add new members to the set as they fill up.

The Buffalo has around 300Gb on it. And I have 2 back up sets running alternate days.

Please tell me there's a simple way to upgrade my old catalogs to V8.

Will be well annoyed if not...

Edited by Chris1963

You have to bite the bullet and create new Media sets.

You can "Recreate" the old backup sets, but you can only restore from them, never add new backups to them.

So archive your old backup set members off site and create new ones. 300GB isn't that much data nowadays.

You have to bite the bullet and create new Media sets.

You can "Recreate" the old backup sets, but you can only restore from them, never add new backups to them.

So archive your old backup set members off site and create new ones. 300GB isn't that much data nowadays.

Well that's a beggar. So how do I recreate the old backup sets? Actually... might be better to leave the old catalog files on the Mac they were running on. It can be left where it is for people to restore files from.

Just have to figure out what file need backing up from the network drive. And buy some more hard drives for storage. At least they're cheap enough.

And then figure out how to get my network drive to show up in the sources window....

and is afp://192.168.1.11/terastation a valid URL to the SHARE POINT that's hosted on the device at that IP address?

In other words, when you use "Connect to Server" in the Finder, enter 192.168.1.11, and log in with valid name/password, the "Select the volumes you want to mount on "192.168.1.11":" lists "terastation" and "data" ?