Scripts Not Running At All

We run Mac OS X Server (Version 10.6.1). On this machine the Retrospect Backup Engine is running. I use the Retrospect Console 8.2.0 (399) to plan the backups and this seems to work correctly. I can see all the hard disc drives and so on. So I made a Script manually and with the step-by-step method to test it. I used the “backup” and “copy” just to try all possibilities.

If I start the script manually (with “execute”) it is flowing to the “activities” but nothing happens. If I make a schedule it shows in the “activities” and is ready to execute. But the time passes without doing anything. I don’t even get a error message or something. This happens all the time. Trying and trying but nothing is going on.

What is wrong. I also installed the Retrospect Client on the server, just to test this as well. But the same result. I guess this is not even nessesary because I backup a volume from the OS X Server to an other volume on the OS X Server. So all the Disks are available at OS X Server. I use the German version so the exact words for the buttons are maybe different (for example “execute”).

Please let me know, if there is a solution for this behavior.

The log only shows the start and stop of the application (Engine). But nothing with a backup process.

For example:

––––

Beendet am 13.08.11 09:02:07

+ Retrospect Version 8.2.0.399

Gestartet am 13.08.11 09:02:11

––––

And the protocol of the Activity itself is empty (shows: " No protocol")

Edited by SaBu

Here some screens. Everything looks like in the documentation or in the demo movies. To only difference is, that the scripts don't start. Somebody else was experience the same problem. I found this in the internet. But this person doesn't write something about a solution. He only writes the after a while trying and trying it started to work. But nothing is happen in my case. I try and try, make other scripts, choose other types of backup-types. But still the same problem. If the script doesn't even execute by pressing the button "play". And the protocol stays empty.

In the screens there is a script which shall only copy the files in a directory with little data for testing. Media Sets are not anymore in the list because I don't need them for the "copy" methode. But the the "backup" methode with Media Sets didn't work as well. So the problem seems to be something different.

Edited by SaBu

Guest Steve Maser

What if you stop and start the engine?

And is retrospect supported on Mac OSX 10.6.1? I thought it needed a later build for official support? (I could be wrong about this...)

I realize you say it's not working even when starting manually, but the screen shot of your Schedule (Skripte->Planen) shows a starting date (13) before the current date (15). Retrospect won't work unless the start date is _after_ the current date (and it won't provide an error, either).

@Novice: I stopped and started the engine more then one time without any result. This was the first thing I tried to solve the problem. Retrospect also should work with Mac OSX 10.6.1 they even write on the website that 10.7. also works.

@Apprentice: I know that the script is showing a date before today. But I made this script a couple of days ago and the script event isn't working by press the button play/execute in the script panel. So the script should have run a couple of times since I made it.

Guest Steve Maser

Well, 10.6.1 *might* work, but I'd be surprised if anybody is testing against that specific version any longer. Can you upgrade your server at all? 10.6.3 was the first "lots of *real* bugs fixed" version of 10.6 Server released (Apple even changed their shipping build to 10.6.3 Server as soon as that came out...)

I found something on the roxio website again. It seems that my registration code from retrospect is a "desktop"-version and on Mac OS X server shall only work a "single server"-version. So I will update the server to Mac OS X 10.6.8 and I guess I have to upgrade or change the license of the Retrospect to a "single-server". To bad, this information is so hidden on the website from roxio. I will keep you posted if this was the problem.

Guest Steve Maser

Oh, the version of Retrospect is probably the problem. If you install it on Mac OSX *Server*, you have to have the Server-edition of the software. Even if it's the only computer you back up.

But still, upgrading your Server OS is probably a good thing to do regardless.