Error 512 (incompatible version)

I just upgraded to version 6 under OS-X and managed to get most everything running after upgrading or reinstalling the client on all machines.

In the nightly workstation backup, Retrospect hit one of the machines (iMac - running panther, all latest software updates added) and it backed up the disk drive in the machine.

There is a firewire drive attached to it ... which it didn't backup due to an incompatible version error...... So the question is 'Incompatible version of what?' it surely can't be the client as that was installed and did one of the disk drives.

The Firewire drive .. there is no softare to install on it as far as I know and should just have been backed up.

Thoughts or suggestions (The portion of the log is below)

- 1/28/2004 12:50:28 AM: Copying Laura's HD on Laura’s Computer…

1/28/2004 3:50:14 AM: Execution completed successfully.

Completed: 30510 files, 4.3 GB, with 4% compression

Performance: 25.7 MB/minute

Duration: 02:59:46 (00:12:34 idle/loading/preparing)

Can't access volume Laura's second drive on Laura’s Computer, error 512 (incompatible version).

1/28/2004 3:50:30 AM: Execution incomplete.

Hi

What format is the external drive? Have you tried forgetting and Re-adding the client from the backup server? Can you back up this drive when it is attached to another machine?

If you haven't already, run the client uninstaller on the machine, reboot and reinstall it.

Thanks

Nate

thanks for the suggestion. I'd just installed the OS-X client for v 6 and continued on. Didn't think that the client would be a problem if one of the disks backed up (the internal one)

Format of the external drive - its a firewire 60 gig from lacie... fairly old in computer terms (couple of years) It used to be my backup device and worked fine with retrospect 5.1

I beleive its just HFS (no journaling) on it.

Hi

Any chance you can format that drive as HFS+ (no journaling)? Retrospect uses some HFS+ file system calls that may be failing on that drive. That makes sense in regard to the error message at least.

Now that I think of it - the client update may have failed on this machine so the old version is still running. something to doublecheck at least.

Nate

Archived