Retrospect 6 "unattended Options" In Retrospect 8?

Greetings,

I just upgraded from Retrospect 6.1 to Retrospect 8.

I can't for the life of me find any option in Retrospect 8 that corresponds with the "Unattended options" in Retrospect 6.1, which allow you to choose what happens when a scheduled script finishes: Stay in Retrospect, Quit, Restart, Sleep, Shut Down. See attachment.

How can I tell Retrospect 8 what to do when a scheduled script finishes? What I want to happen is my Mac shutting down after running the backup script.

Thanks in advance,

Jan Pieter

Edited by jpk

Those types of options do not exist in version 8.

That's what I was afraid of. A pity, those options were useful to me.

Anyway, for those interested, I created a workaround which is even somewhat more flexible than the "all-or-nothing" 6.1 options.

First, I created a Retrospect "Copy" script called Retrospect Finished which does nothing but copy an empty file called "retrospect_finished" from a source directory to a target directory. I let this script run on the days that my other unattended backup scripts run, as the last script of the day.

Then, I created a shell script called check_retrospect_finished.sh which checks if the file retrospect_finished exists in the target directory:

#!/bin/bash

if [ -f /path/to/retrospect_finished ]; # if the file 'retrospect_finished' exists
then
rm /path/to/retrospect_finished # remove it
osascript /path/to/shutdown.scpt # and shut the machine down
fi

shutdown.scpt contains this:

tell application "System Events"
shut down
end tell

And as the last step, I created a launchd.plist file in ~/Library/LaunchAgents to run the retrospect_finished.sh shell script every 15 minutes:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>Label</key>
 <string>name.of.plist.file.without.extension</string>
 <key>ProgramArguments</key>
 <array>
   <string>/path/to/check_retrospect_finished.sh</string>
 </array>	
 <key>StartInterval</key>
 <integer>900</integer>  
</dict>
</plist>

Et voilà: when the Retrospect Finished copy script runs as the last Retrospect script of the day, my Mac is shut down by the check_retrospect_finished.sh shell script at most 15 minutes later.

I hope this is useful to someone.

Best wishes,

Jan Pieter

Edited by jpk